Who wants to be an NG photographer? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-18-2005, 01:24 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Who wants to be an NG photographer?

Interview with NG staf photog Mike Nichols Here

And how much money you make Here
Old 02-18-2005, 02:41 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Who wants to be an NG photographer?

Thanks for the links Philip. It was an enjoyable read. :)
Old 02-18-2005, 03:35 PM

I want to be. How to do that?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:26 PM
TE Expert

aaaaaaaaah my favourite wildlife photographer...

you might wanna have a look at the frequently asked questions here.
why i like it so much is that it very politely tells all those non obsessed photographers to f#ck off. no offence, but since i've been obsessed with geographic ( although today i don't dream of being a NG photographer anymore), i'm in a way possessive about it :)

maciej, nichols has also mentioned that NG is mostly working with transparencies at the moment and not negatives or digital.
infact one NG photographer i met told me that there is so much pressure on them because they've to send the films , unprocessed to the washington office and so thay have no idea how the photographs turned until bill allen ( the current editor) or someone else calls up.
nichols on his african expedition took 2000 rolls of film with him
when david doubilet went to capture breaching by great white sharks, in the documentary they showed him sitting with about 35-40 rolls of film and numbering them. they were his work for the day. ok i have no idea how i reached this subject of films
but enjoy the site
Old 02-19-2005, 12:58 AM
TE Expert

Default National Geographic going digital????

I came across an issue of National Geographic in a dentist's office waiting for a friend, that featured an article about flying that was shot entirely in digital. I believe it was the first feature they've done using digital images. I came across a conversation on Rob Galbraith discussing the process. I thought you might be interested in it. Joe McNally was the photographer who did the spread.

Shooting the D1X for National Geographic

You'll find heated discussions on the subject of magazines and film, versus magazines and digital at this site. Interesting stuff to someone obsessed... ;-)
Old 02-20-2005, 06:34 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: National Geographic going digital????

Yes, I had read that before, it is interesting. Actually, the Flight article was not the first where they used digital images, it was the first shot using entirely digital images. Actually, I believe this is also not really true. They have dones stuff from the Hubble Space Telescope, and of course that is digital as well. Hard to have film processed a couple hundred miles above the earth after all.

Actually, when we were in Myanmar, we met a guy who has been published by NatGeo. He was saying that not only do they prefer your work to be in slides, but they want 70% of it to be done on Velvia 50. This will change, of course, but it is the way it is now.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:32 AM
TE Junior Member

Thank you very much for the article. A NG photographer is something I definately aspire to be one day. Too bad I only know how to shoot on digital. Atleast your 2nd article is giving me a ray of hope. :)
Old 03-09-2005, 01:24 AM
TE Expert

He was saying that not only do they prefer your work to be in slides, but they want 70% of it to be done on Velvia 50.

Sure the guy said Velvia, Darren?

I knew that slide was still the norm in publishing but Velvia sounds very funny to me because it is not suited at all for people pics which is about 50% of the NatGeo images and moreover when I look at my NatGeo collection I instantly recognize the typical rendition of Kodak films, specially the Kodachrome 200.

Cheers
Luko
Old 03-11-2005, 03:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Luko, sorry for the late reply. Yes, I felt much the same as you, I think Velvia is not suited for many types of photography at all, but he was quite certain. Also interesting is that the best known Nat Geo photographer is Steve McCurry (at least in my estimation), and from what I have read, he is a Kodak guy. Chad (the photographer we met) is a people shooter as well, although he did tell me that he tends to shoot Provia 100 & 400.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:55 PM
TE Junior Member

It might depend on what sort of photographer he was. 70% on Velvia or Kodak E100VS would be quite a reasonable expectation if you business was landscape or possibly underwater work. Lonely planet seems to use either a fair amount of Velvia or E100VS for their people work too; you'd think all people from Asia were bright orange! In reality, I've found that it's the Westerners who are far more orange thanks to the easy access to tanning salons and 'brown (orange) in a bottle'...

Do people still use Kodachrome professionally? I thought that being so difficult to have it processed conveniently would rule that out (I suppose NG would have its own K14 lab in addition to E6... otherwise it'd have to go to Switzerland or Rochester or some such).