To tyro: flower? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2020-05-11 12:11

Hello Jean,

What did the big flower say to the little flower?

"Hiya, Bud!"

Well, now I've got that off my chest, you have, as always, written a fascinating and most informative note. In particular, I didn't realise that it was not until the 16th century that horse chestnut trees were brought to Britain

Two lovely photographs, especially your main image which shows a bud about to burst forth - but is this bud actually going to produce a flower of just a "spray" of leaves? Whatever is going to happen, it's a lovely photograph, with good light and fine colours and exceptional detail - and your workshop image shares the same fine qualities.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

Now that I've extolled the virtues of your two pictures, I wonder if I could ask you a little favour? I'm going to add a photo of mine as a workshop. I took it during a walk with pals through a nature reserve (actually a RSPB reserve) by the River Clyde on 9th May last year. At the time I thought that I had taken a shot of some flowers on a horse chestnut tree - so was I right? :)

Incidentally, this tree was right next to the hawthorn bush whose flowers I photographed that same day - I posted that picture here on 1st May this year.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: flower?

Hi John, yes I am pretty sure that the flower is that of a horse chestnut, sometimes referred to as candles.
In your picture the individual flowers are not properly opened yet.

Keep safe
Jean
Old 05-11-2020, 08:08 PM
TE Expert

Default Thank you, Jean!

Thank you, Jean! So nice to know I got that one right.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:57 AM
TE Expert

Talking

Hello Jean and John,

Of course, this is horse chestnuts flower. Somertimes the flowers are red. In Poland, these trees are very popular. Usually the flowers appear during the maturity exams (abitur). Not this year though because of the coronavirus (no one knows how it will be with the exams).
Stay healthy

Malgo