To bantonbuju: Experimenting..... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great arnabchat 2006-11-17 0:02

Dear Manuel,
As most of your pictures do, this shot carries the essence of a classic, telling a story beyond words. great textures with light and color tones. fantastically composed. simply great!!
Thanks, Arnab

Old 11-17-2006, 12:56 PM
TE Expert

Default To bantonbuju: Experimenting.....

This is within the context of a half hour show but there is only a minute or so of this each time it happens........I experiment a fair bit...the really difficult thing here is achieving focus......I've lightened this a bit so it can be read more effectively on the web at this size but for print quality at size i wouldn't do this - it would be perfectly readable with less noise at 12" x 18"

I've given the guessed figures....and then my real ones to this question in another reply on the photo page.......I think I started at around 1/15th - I usually work shutter priority with something like this not aperture priority - and took it down to 1/3rd to get the desired effect of the spin without completely losing the presence of the person - I thought I'd gone to pushing it to 3200 at this stage although with the 5D I generally avoid this if I can - actually it was still set to 1600 ISO ......the other guess that was wrong was that the I had set the camera aperture at 1.8 but looking at the exif it's f4......it was later in the event I decided to experiment a bit more with aperture priority..........

It's easier to do this kind of shot since we've had digital and adjust the exposure to suit .......with film you obviously build an experience of what you need to do.....you do with digital too - you know which ranges to start in .....and the speed with which you can adjust means a greater chance of getting something perhaps than with the 'blind bracketing' of film.......just diffeent approaches......so perhaps not as precise to begin with.....

best wishes Kev