Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-27-2003, 04:01 AM
TE Junior Member

Default For Ninadev

Your words describe much of my own thinking. I fretted for weeks whether I should post this one.

The air is clean and clear.. On this day, I could see the Brooks Range from over 100 miles away (from dead horse to atigun pass the chart says is about 170 miles, as I recall)

I was tempted to walk out, and did.. and turned back fairly quick as the tundra is extremely difficult to walk on. As I was carefully picking my way a short distance, a childhood school lesson was ringing in my ears about how the Eskimos would wait till winter to move around because walking on the tundra is so difficult.

Even with that, the walk was enjoyable, short and difficult as it was. But the one thing that you don't notice much from the car and can't even see much of as you drive is bugs. This place swarms with all sorts of menacing flying bugs, bazillions of em... without bug spray they were in my ears, eyes, nose, mouth; biting, stinging, crawling, buzzing. There are mosquitoes and biting flies by names I can't recall. They even have a variety I've heard of from other places, they call Noseeums (No See Them. But a squirt or two of Cutters Deep Woods (in my opinion the best repellent, but you might die from it in about 100 yrs of so if you bathe in it regularly because it's loaded with deet).

I don't see a lot of artistic merit either, but I did feel it accurately represents this section of the road... (Roughly mile marker 450 I think).

Depending on ones taste in driving, this road really isn't too bad. The worst aspect might be the worry factor. Since there are virtually no services except a couple gas stations and restaurants (3 each) in 500 miles, even a relatively little problem can cause days delay and hundreds or thousands in cost.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:08 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: For Ninadev

Thanks for all this information on that place. You long and interesting description shows how much it is not a place you can't forget - mainly because of the bugs it seems (lol). Never went in such an area but experienced a similar bug situation that gives you an urge to kill and you have all my sympathy.