To PaulVDV: discussions ;-) - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2020-03-25 10:04

Hello Gert,
Once a journalist, always a journalist. I understand you wanted to witness this event although I think it was a risk to your health. My stay in Asia may have worried me more than it should about the corona virus. But I see the future as worrying.
I note that the three Scandinavian countries were able to limit further contamination. At the outbreak of the virus in Europe, Sw., N. and D. had each more people infected than Belgium. In the meantime, this situation has changed considerably and this while we have a lockdown here.
Regarding your pictures: excellent reportage.
A bridge between Gamla Stan and Södermalm. Did you ever expect this? Or was it discussed in Stockholm for quite some time?
When will the construction be completed? Hopefully there will also be a pedestrian section on the bridge.
I'd like to see that bridge someday and walk over it.
Best regards, Paul

Old 03-25-2020, 05:51 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: discussions ;-)

Thank you Paul,
Yes, the new Slussen was discussed, but maybe not for more than 10 years, and only reasonably aggressively between the supporters of the new design and those who wanted to restore the old traffic system. ;-)
There are (have always been) bridges between the two districts, they just didn't look anywhere close to what we will get now. There will be plenty of space for pedestrians and cyclists on the new bridge, but will it look nice? Since it arrived from China it has now been put in its new place and an aerial view shows it looking so huge that all buildings on both sides look like dwarfs. Will it not "kill" the view of Gamla stan? Basically this will be ready by 2023, with complementary work expected until 2027.

As for the epidemic it remains to be seen if the softer Swedish attitude will prove successful. There is a strategy to try to postpone the peak of infections to avoid having the hospitals totally overrun by seriously ill patients at the same time. But will it work? Swedish authorities, including government, are unwilling to use authoritarian methods, so there is no general lockdown as in most other countries. Schools up to mid level are still open, restaurants and almost all shops are open. But there is a constant flow of information and pleads to be careful, avoid crowds, keep a distance to others. People like me, elderly and with a chronic illness, should stay home, so I don't go out more than necessary. ;-)
Stay well,
Gert