Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 AM
TE Newbie

Default Is it right to use TE for micro-political propaganda?

I saw an organized action from some Skopian(FYROM) members(tafa) of TE to advertise their country occuping a big part of my country,Greece!When an other member(ifanik) of TE made his complains the administrator punished him and not the Skopian who dared to upload this fake map!!
I say no political propaganda has place in TE!
I say FREE IFANIK...
Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Is it right to use TE for micro-political propaganda?

Hey Fanis, I would have to agree for the most part.

I have had a similar problem, when publishing a picture of the border crossing between the two countries, the issues were soon on the table, only then did I realize the extent of the bad blood.

But in this case, I have to agree with you, because:
It seems to be a blatant provocation. Not only is part of Greece annexed in the picture, the same goes for a part of Bulgaria and Albania. And I see no sense in putting it up as your "avatar" or display picture.

Mythologizing a nation is a fervent sport in this part of Europe, even in my country, where the prosperity has risen dramatically since the independence, we have people who try to rewrite history in almost a ludicrous manner, constructing maps where the extent of countries borders are something that makes one say: "LOL"? Of course the criteria is totally up for grabs - it doesen`t really matter what constitutes them. And they go thousands of years in retrospect trying to lift themselves beyond the current situation. I think it`s pretty much the same here.

The national borders change with time, and there is really no point in referring to some half-ancient source. The borders of what is now FYRM were constituted after WW II.

Yet you have to take this lightheartedly, since one can (nay, must) realize that such unwarranted nationalism is one of the weak. Eternally battling with the sense that they live in a small country, and thinking that enlarging it by scribbling some laughable map will change their welfare and quality of life. And don`t worry, it is just a provocation, TE maps won`t change anything.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
TE Junior Member

Oh yeah, and one more thing.

I think that ignoring such unwarranted provocations are not in the interests of TE ideals. I think it`s not meant for spreading of nationalism, and thinking that ignoring it - or even punishing one who challenges it, is a bad move.

I think its pretty clear who started this round.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
TE Junior Member

Fanis, he seems to want to provoke others. Well done with that, he achieved his targets. Would you please be careful not to cross the border in the same way he did? Not that you have done that, I only ask to avoid that in future.

From my point of view this strange behaviour of this member is far beyond any political action (which would be wrong here), it is close to being aggressive. The map with the claiming for the name of the state make it clear that he does not respect history and reality of Europe. I do not discuss this point here (wrong place) but like to give him an advice:
Wrong behaviour in the wrong place. Last can be corrected by the choice of a political forum, first not.
Ulf
Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
TE Expert

Set Brittany free!!!

(only kidding)

:D

OK, I think TE is definitly not the place for propaganda...

Cheers,

Loc
Old 04-22-2008, 04:37 PM
TE Newbie

dear Miha,
thank you for your attention first and then for your opinion.
I didn't want to expand my thinking about the issue because i strongly believe that TE should not be a place for political debate!
theofanis
Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 PM

I don't know the facts behind the situation referred to in the original post in this topic. One thing is clear though - the stated purpose of the site is to learn about the world through photography. If there are differing viewpoints about where borders should be drawn, or the political situation in an area, doesn't that alone make posting images relating to the situation valid?
I'd never even heard of the 'problem area' before, so I have certainly learnt something from the posting of the image.
To use an example from a former conflict much closer to my home - would it have been wrong for people to post images of the wall art in Northern Ireland during The Troubles?
Old 04-22-2008, 06:06 PM
TE Newbie

dear Keitht,
You have a wright but,can everyone be objective presenting so difficult issues?Thats why i believe that no political issues must not discuss or presenting at TE!
theofanis
Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 AM
TE Senior Member

Like Keith, I also don't know what exactly happened . . . but I fear this is another case of the dead rabbit. . . . How am I supposed to learn about the world if I only see the picture perfect world? . . . The TOS doesn't say you're not allowed to post these photo's, it's a form of self censorship that is free to do . . . or not. The dead rabbit, . . . the boy that died from hunger just before the TE member was able to bring him food . . . the people eating from the waste bins . . . monuments to victims of terror . . . A wall.

I live on the other site of a Iron curtain that once was. People tell me of the propaganda of their former occupiers. I tell them of our . . . propaganda. It's politics . . . it's not IN the people!

The key is respect . . . and to understand WHY we have to learn.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 AM
TE Junior Member

It is nothing about a capture in the gallery!
The discussed subject here is a map (deleted meanwhile) which was presented as the photo in the introduction. That map in red against dark background showed something which according to the text in the intro must be an idea of a state including the "Macedonia FYR" and several parts of countries in the neighbourhood.
Any capture in the gallery showing i.e. a demonstration for or against this would not be a thing to discuss about in that circumstances. That is daily life and reasonable, could be commented and critiqued.
Ulf