Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM
TE Expert

Default Hands on Leica M8 report

LEICA M8 BRIEF REPORT
Well I held this black baby in my little hands tonight at the fancy Leica showroom in the Ginza and thought I’d share a few initial impressions with my fellow TE M Maniacs.

Size/weight:
Although lighter than the M7 it FEELS heavy, heavy and solid and all metal black. There seems to be less to hang on to durface-wise than other M’s I’ve held in the past (too smooth a finish perhaps…) . I would definitely buy an optional grip with this thing.
It is just one limiter larger in every way than the M7 but again FEELS bigger, perhaps because there is less detail on the body (no film rewind lever, etc.
It is a very spare design, let’s put it that way. Much more uncluttered than past Ms even.

Viewfinder:
Same as past models – that flat Leica M view with frame lines – nothing to indicate wideangle effects (you have to imagine what 35mm looks like or 28, etc. – something I’ve never been able to do…)
With the 1/33 crop ratio, many will go for the new 3-in-one lens equivalent to 21-24-28mm. Problem to see that wide a view properly, you’ll have to spring for a new 3-in-one external viewfinder that can be adjusted and looks rather awkward, plus you’ll still need to look through the main viewfinder for metering

Operation:
I have to say I think this may be a SLOWER model than its analog brethren and focus. It’s hard to prove but it struck me as an instrument to spend time over before each shot… In fact all the stuff about how quick the Ms are needs a bit of qualifying (it’s in some ways quite a complex instruyment that you need to sue a lot to feel comfortable with. Some, like me, never do…
The shutter release has a carefully calibrated sound that sounds….just like a Leica M!

Cards:
It’s SD for Leica too, no way to use all your regular flash cards with this baby.
NOTE: Leica's decision to force you to remove teh bottom plate everytime you want to a) change the battery or b) remove a card is bloody ridiculous. It's taking nostalgia way too far. I wuold call it "batty" quite frankly...Other may differ.

Image quality:
I took some shots, portraits of the pretty assistant in the store, etc. Judging from the results in the excellent LCD…images are superb, beautifully nuanced as you would expect from Leica. I think the lens I used on it was a 35mm Summicron f2.0 ASPH.

Is it worth $5000 body only? Hell no, IMHO, but then again to someone else it might be. It is a very impressive and elegant instrument that feels just like a real M but digital.

It’s everything you might expect a digital M to be but then you’re left on your own with the reality of the price (sans lens) and you need to probe the depth of your love for that range…
Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Hands on Leica M8 report

thanks a lot Francis for your report and your efforts! :)
bw.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 PM
TE Expert

an extra problem now in M8:

magenta cast problems in addition to already existing banding (bleeding or light streaks problem) issue..

it looks like the lack of IR filter on the sensor is the reason for all that.. black colours look like purple in some shots..
angry reactions from the first M8 users, very disappointing!.. (especially after you paid a lot of money!) :(

i wish i waited for M9! LOL!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:40 AM
TE Expert

I honestly don't think it is worth the money when you can get such results from your 5D (or D200;o)))
Old 11-09-2006, 03:10 AM

5D rocks, it is such a great camera. I went out with my M6 tonight to a student club and it was a pain - with the 5D I would have shot lots of pics, and with that M6 I took around 25 pics only, it is just too slow to adjust all the parameters - those bloody students move all the time, you miss all the situations. digital rocks for me.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 AM
TE Junior Member

I admit I'm getting quite used to spraying off a burst of shots with digital-- very quick and easy. Generally the focus is bang on target too.

But I do miss the wind action and manual focussing, a bit slower but rarely found it to be inhibiting-- I shot a bunch of fast walking politicians at a rally with an FM2; keep me sharp. I suppose that's different from kids moving about in a dark room. I won't be satisfied until I've shot a football or cricket with a manual focus camera-- perhaps I'm just a nutter :)
Old 11-09-2006, 05:24 AM
TE Expert

".. perhaps I'm just a nutter :) "

nope, you are not, LOL! it is all about being familiar with it imho.. pre-focusing is an important asset in manual lenses, so is the hyperfocal focusing. i always thought that my manual focusing was far sharper than my af shots too..

a matter of practising the technique i guess. :)
Old 11-09-2006, 05:29 AM
TE Expert

aperture priority helps a lot in M7 (so in M8 i am sure) in fast scenes.. very different than old cameras or M6!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:33 AM
TE Expert

rarely do I ever shoot in AF. 99% of the time im focusing manually. I prefer it, theres much more control to it and its not slower at all that AF is, for me anyway. Ive usually got the focus preset anyway, I know with the types of shots I take where the ficus will be set before the camera is even at my eye. Then its a tiny adjustment and shoot.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:39 PM
TE Expert

Mt6 culd be a real pain in the @ss, Evren, as you say. By the time you had set everything, not just the moment...but the day had fled...;o)