Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-25-2006, 05:52 AM
TE Expert

Default CANON G7 Hands-On report from Tokyo

I'm probably going to get "flamed" for singing the praises of a Canon camera after all the controversy I stirred up recently but here goes anyway.
While visiting Canon's main showroom (on the job) yesterday, I had a chance to play with the new top-of-the-line compact from Canon, the G7. Here are some of my first impressions:

FEEL AND DESIGN:
I swear, I cannot remember having ever handled a more pleasant compact - it even beats the Ricoh GR1 (I'll probably get fired for saying this, LOL!) We are talking about a very smart, all metal black "retro" design, with an analog knob on the top for the ISO, and another for choosing the shooting mode. Very clever quick turning wheel on the back with buttons for MF, Flash, Macro.
CONTROL:
Full control over aperture and shutter speeds.
IS
Advanced IS to control camera shake essential for a camera with just a wee optical finder.
LCD: incredibly bright anbd clear 2.4" job, one of the best I've seen.
PERFORMANCE:
Very fast thanks to the brand new DIGIC 3 engine.
SHUTTER:
Makes a lovely sound inspired by two old analog cmaeras: the T70 and the legendary F1. You can always turn it off when you get tired of it ;o)
NEGATIVES:
1. No RAW mode....ouch! I hope jpeg quality is excellent... Apparently Silkypix, a Japan^based software program for RAW conversion now has a module that treats jpeg like RAW, a fascinating development if it's true...
2. No rotating LCD like in the rest of the G-series.
Those two things might be deal breakers for some.
CONCLUSION:
I'm seriously considering getting one of these beauties for street shooting - discreet, small but with a nice weight and capable (from what I've seen) of beautiful, clear images up to iso 00, with a usable iso 800 if properly exposed.
Voila, here I am "again" singing Canon's praises after all the drama over the 5D!
Hope this is of interest.
Francis
Old 10-25-2006, 11:48 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: CANON G7 Hands-On report from Tokyo

I was thinking about buying a G7 for my underwater photo (finally been put off by the EOS5Dunderwater housing stiff prices, more than the camera itself...) then I saw NO f*cking RAW !!!!! (why not no lens or no camera...).

That should be death penalty to Canon : how can they release a camera with such specs, that's aiming to be either a notebook (even a second camera) for advanced photogs or even a first camera for people hesitating to step to SLR... When you look at the digital compact market there are very few new cameras that allow RAW shooting, most of them are more and more program, everything auto, oriented while a few years ago almost every camera above a certain price had to ropose a RAW feature.

I mean I can't understand the marketing behind OR it's a sly move to FORCE people to buy the brand's more profitable SLRs.

What's the story about Silkypix, Francis? Is it packaged with the G7? and what about the AF/shutter delay in low light with the G7?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
TE Expert

Silkypix (URL http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/products/) is an absolutely brilliant Japanese program whose Version 3.0 apparently gives one the bility to work with jpegs as if they were RAW i.e. without loss durinbg changes).

Canon's marketing is increasingly brazen, very much like a company that litterally monopolizes the entire digicam world. So the "no RAW" part of the nwe and perhaps last of the G-series is puzzling to say the least - they're afraid, these greedy bas....ds, that one little digicam is giong to eat into their Eos Rebel NX sales ro something...

That sai, Luko, there is something undeniably classy and silky in a retro way about that damn G7, with a pretty decent lens and snappy response. Low light shutter delay I could not test in a showroom in broad daylight without getting arrested and setting off al the alrams in the joint. That and my Ricoh identity would have put me away for good ;o)

I'd really like to hear what you think, though. I'm sure there's an underwater housing for teh thing, affordable of course. To anyone who has handled a Leica, there is an immediate...attractuion here, you know what I mean?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:38 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: SilkyPix

Here is a quote (in rather poor Japanese/English on their site but the import is fascinating):

This software develops RAW data and it also has the feature of developing JPEG/TIFF files. However, it is extremely convenient to process a JPEG or TIFF as the same as treating a RAW development by using the same parameters. This software treats a JPEG and TIFF as is which is different from another photo retouching software. This software converts the data into a shape, which is similar to the internal RAW data. For this reason, this software can accurately process colors more accurately than another photo retouching software.

The Beta of Version 3.0 (which also procvesses RAW of course) is currebtly FREE for a 30-day trial. Give it a spin...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
TE Senior Member

No more Compact Flash
No more flexible LCD

I'm not sure I fully understand Silkypix s/w ? The application is supposed to process raw files while ... Canon G7 doesn't have raw ? That's weird ...

I think I gonna stick to my Canon G3 ;o) for the moment.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:35 PM

no RAW, no rotating LCD!!!, no CompactFlash, slow lens, 10mpix from a tiny sensor...

I loved my G3, it was a great camera a few years ago, but I don't understand Canon here, this G7 lacks all the great features that made G3 great. one new think I notice - an ISO dial, great idea.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:54 PM
TE Senior Member

I agree with Maciej. The rotating LCD is a wonder for street photography. Don't know why the heck did Canon erased that in this version. I guess they could have used the L lens that came with the Pro1 but I guess Canon didn't want to cause another flop... But this G7 really has style! RAW is another issue. Even my G2 has RAW... Why is Canon doing this? A JPG, even if processed in a unmodified way is not the same as a RAW file.

On the other hand, I am not seeing you Francis using a thing like this. I mean, it's a great tool, but are you prepared to transform your own style? Remember that f2.8 in these lenses is not like the f2.8 in a EF lens... Good bye bokeh on your street shooting...
Old 10-26-2006, 12:58 AM
TE Expert

Trues about the first two items...sadly.
Silkypixhas an original algorhythm for handling jegs a little bit as if they were RAW files. The results are stunning I hear. You can download the Beta 3 version for free and try it ut on any jpeg.
It's significance is for anyone interested in the new G7 - to try and aproximate RAW conversion treatment on a jpeg.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:02 AM
TE Expert

I'll tell you what Luis: I am prepared to use this little toy for a couple of months while I sell all the other Canomn stuff, LOL! and decide exactly what I want for a "real" camera - I am interested in the new Pentax K10D for a variety of reasons, including their collection of very flat, low profile "pancake" lenses - 21mm, 40mm and a lovely 70mm f2.4.
Otherwise it would be the Nikon D200 whose price is slowly coming down - another god reason to wait.
In the meantime composing with "less bokeh" has got to be a good thing, don't you think? It will frce me to compose ;o)
Old 10-26-2006, 03:32 AM
TE Junior Member

Save for the lack of RAW, articulated LCD and the slower lens the G7 looks like it retains most of the things I liked about the G3 (I had a love/hate relationship with the LCD since I prefer keeping the camera against my eye-- something the G3 wasn't particularly brilliant with due to the VF). That ISO dial is brilliant (used to be buried deep in the function menu on the G3).

Francis, could you elaborate a bit about your opinion of performance? Do you feel that the AF is zippy and accurate and that the total lag between metering and focussing has been reduced?

I've personally given Nikon a horrifyingly large portion of my money over the last few years to consider switching or downscaling right now but I still hold a bit of nostalgia for the G series-- the first real camera I bought with my own money was a G3.

Mike