Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-27-2006, 03:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Burnt out highlights with Canon 350D

Hello everyone,
I just got a Canon 350D and am experiencing some problems with it. I get burnt out highlights a lot, to the point where I can't get a successful landscape picture. The sky comes out burnt out white, and so do leaves which reflect light. I can only take good pictures in the evening (with a higher ISO), when there isn't enough strong light to reflect off surfaces, and even then I have learned to avoid including parts of the sky in the picture, for fear they will come out white.
Would a polarizer help? I've seen it a lot on this site but don't know what it does exactly.
I hope that one day my landscapes will look ok. They're much worse than with my point-and-shoot camera (I have a Pentax Optio 555), and I can't figure out why. I have tried shooting in automatic mode too (after playing with the ISO values in various light conditions), and got the same result: terribly burnt out highlights.
Anybody else experienced the same problem?
Thanks a lot,
Raluca
Old 08-27-2006, 04:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Burnt out highlights with Canon 350D

Hello Raluca,

Polarizing filter will certainly help during sunny day. I always use it outdoors if sun is shining. If it's cloudy, there is no point to use polarizer, it won't help.
Also I would recommend using your camera in RAW mode. Raw file can be converted in 16 bit mode, which makes easier to darken highlights. You can also convert the same raw file twice with different exposure compensation settings (one for shadow details, another for highlight details) and then merge them in Photoshop.

Linas
Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 PM

Do you have any examples online anywhere that we could look at? If the example came with full EXIF data that would be perfect...
Old 08-28-2006, 03:26 AM
TE Expert

Yes, weirdly enough i read most of it on french magazines when I was there, the reviews in US did not mention that whitening problem too much. You could also underbracket your exposure so it underexposes constantly by 1/3 or 2/3. Something you probably have tried when shooting fully manual.

H
Old 08-28-2006, 04:14 AM
TE Expert

Hi Raluca:
Simply put, all digital cams and, yes, our Canons in particular it seems, have a tendency to burn out the whites. Simple solution: permanently adjust your exposure by 1/3 to 2/3 (2/3 stop is best), and never have to worry again. Oh, and you MUST shoot RAW!
Herve is quite right here. I know Luko also does this on his 5D. You will see darker pictures that can be brightened up nicely during the RAW conversion process.
Good luck!
Francis
Old 08-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

I can only fully agree about the need to shoot RAW.
about filters, a polariser will help if your relative position to the sun is appropriate.
For the rest an ND grad filter will save you, like Cokin P121.
JY
Old 08-28-2006, 08:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello Jean-Yves, Francis et al.,
I see. Now I will only have to shoot RAW and see what happens. Will also have to figure out how to convert the RAW files.
I also agree that it's better to underexpose.
Thank you for your help,
Raluca
Old 08-28-2006, 09:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi,
I read all your comments on that, but noone wrote anything about manual setting the time of the shutter by metering the light. What I do is I set the metering mode to the "multisegment mode" and then while taking the photo pressing the "blue star" symbol (under your right thumb). This will set the exposition for the particular shot. You should notice, that the shutter time has raised. and the "star" symbol appeared in the viewer's bottom line. To delete that setting just press the button on the right from the blue-star-one (magnifying glass (+)) and you can set a new point to measure the light. The same happens with the flash. If you want to set its strength propoerly push the blue star button and a pilot flash will fire. It will measure the flash strength so that it will not overburn the picture. This setting does not work with automatic modes. I usually use that with "P" program.
I don't have experience with the RAW, so I can't comment on that.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask me.
Regards,
Michal
Old 08-28-2006, 10:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Michal,
Thanks a lot. I remember reading about this in the manual, too, but haven't used it yet. It seems especially useful with the pilot flash, if indeed that affects the strength of the flash.
Thanks a lot,
Raluca
Old 08-28-2006, 10:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Francis,
I have set the camera to stop down the exposure as you suggested (2/3 stop). Will take some RAWs tomorrow. Hope Photoshop or some software from its CDs will do the conversion. Which software do you use, btw?
Thanks a lot for chipping in some good and very helpful advice,
Raluca