Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-18-2006, 10:44 PM
TE Newbie

Default Best Canon Lens?? - YOUR OPINIONS

My name is Blake, I recently purchased a Canon 20D and in the Package came a 28-135mm IS USM and the 70-300mm IS USM, and the standard lens that came with the camera, the 18-55 EF-S, I LOVE the 28-135mm IS USM, but have been thinking about what will be next on my list. any suggestions?? Opinions?? Criticisms?? Telephone Numbers?? HA, kidding on the last one.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Best Canon Lens?? - YOUR OPINIONS

Depending on your budget... two things:

1. A 50mm f1.8 (incredible bang for the buck + teh wonderful world of bokeh is yours and low light photography)

2. If you can reach that far, the 17-40 L is THE walkabout lens for the 20D - astoundingly good in every respect - sharpness, contrast, color.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:37 PM

The best Canon lens overall might not be the best Canon lens for you. Depends on your shooting style and interests more than anything.

My current sharpness list:
Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro (extremely sharp, even wide open)
Canon 200mm f2.8 USM L/II (very very sharp)
Canon 24-105 IS USM f4/L (very sharp, some CA particularly at 24mm)
Canon 17-40 USM f4/L (sharpish, some CA, could be sharper wide open) - although it's sharper than the 18-55 mkII it's not as much of a difference as the price should imply IMO.

Of course those are my samples, it's possible that other people have better or worse examples of the same lenses...

Roughly speaking here's the complete list of EF lenses I have experience with, ranked in approximate order of sharpness:
Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro
Canon 200mm f2.8 USM L/II
Canon 24-105 IS USM f4/L
Canon 17-40 USM f4/L
Canon 70-300 IS
Canon 28-135 IS
Canon 18-55 mkII
then there's a big drop to:
Sigma 17-35 EX HSM (bad, avoid)
Old 04-19-2006, 05:17 PM
TE Expert

What do you guys think of the quite expensive EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM on a 5D?

I've tried it on my 5D in a store and I think it's impressive. But is it worth the money? Shouldn't I be better off buying "non L" but prime lenses that will cover the range of this zoom (leaving aside the burden of changing lenses)? I'm thinking of EF 15mm F2.8, EF 20mm F2.8 and the EF 35mm F2.

PS: Sorry Blake for borrowing your thread.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:16 PM
TE Expert

The 50mm f1/8 is a "must have"... little piece of plastic but with wonderfull results... i love it :)

This week i've tried the 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM... man... lol this is just too powerfull ... i've loved it... expensive also.

It all goes down to your needs, and your avaiable money :)
Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 AM
TE Expert

All of these are great walk around zooms. You may want to shop for prime/fixed lenses with wider aperture, of which, Canon has 3 stellars ones (plus one discontinued, the 200 f/1.8), which get the best ratings from reviewers on any site:

35mm f/1.2
85mm f/1.2 (probably the top one, especially in its new incarnation with faster AF and a few tidbits)
135mm f/2.0

the 50mm f/1.8 is indeed hard to pass by, a cheapie, but a cool entry level lens for low light. Hunting a bit, at least mine.

With all these lenses, you can do real creative work at the lowest aperture, because they do offer incredible bokeh (background blur), which becomes part of the image, as much as the foreground. I am the proud owner of the 135mm. It's a very special lens indeed, and the most affordable of the 3. Great for portraits and stage. Note that the 35 and 85 have more affordable (and lighter) options, same lentgh but f/2.0, the 135 is also available in f/2.8. They'll deliver some great images as well, if i believe what I see around the net. Here, you have to see how much of indoor photography you want to get into, because every .2 down from 2 to 1.2, makes a difference, in DOF and speed of capture.

the 70-200IS f/2.8 seems the top zoom, for all kinds of subjects. Here again, if you have a steady hand, you can go with the non-IS option, lighter and f/4.0

Seeing your equipment, I'd say time to buy a fixed lens. With these, you can't get lazy, and zoom in, but you will definitely improve with your subject approach and composition skills.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:48 AM
TE Expert

That's a tough one but I'd like to think the 35mm f1.4L is pretty amazing, either that or I made a total ass of myself letting go of a large chunk of change for a second hand copy last Saturday...:o)
It has extraordinary bokeh and an ability to separate subjects from background that speaks LOUD and CLEAR to folks accustomed to a certain look from a German manufacturer that begins with "L"... It is a heavy, pretty scary piece of glass however that wants to tame you, half the time, rather than the other way around.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:55 AM
TE Newbie

You may want to compare the 16-35 with the 17-40 and then make a decision. If you are considering a zoom in this range then look at the comparison on Luminous Landscape web site. The 16-35 has an edge, though whether it is sufficiently large in size to merit the extra cost is up to you to decide.

The 15/2.8 is a fisheye lens, very good if you like the effect ;-)

The sigma 20/2.8 is reputed to be better then the canon 20/2.8 you may want to compare either of them

The 35/f2 has good reviews. Will be better than the zooms, though 35mm is not really that wide, but may be ok depending upon what you want to shoot.

Don't forget at the wide end a couple of mm makes all the difference (or at least that is what my girlfriend always used to say).

Bon chance

David
Old 04-25-2006, 01:44 PM
TE Expert

Hello David.

Long time, no speak ;-)

I went to la FNAC last saturday and that's exactly what the sale guys told me about the 16-35 and the 17-40. So I decided I will go back there with my 5D and make few shots using both lenses and then check which one I like better.

I've given up the idea of prime lenses anyway. At least until I get a second body.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Cheers,

Romain.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
TE Expert

It may not be the best Canon lens. The build quality is shoddy LOL, but at 100 dollars the 50mm f/1.8 is a heck of a steal. 90% of the photos I shoot these days are with this little lens.