EOS 40D USER REPORT

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Re: EOS 40D USER REPORT
    still not a bad 56mm normal lens, is it?
    No... but I KNOW what this lens can do at its native 35mm, and I can't get those thoughts out of my head ;o)))
    Great, indeed, but very specific use, when you think Francis is a walk-around photographer. I got the 100mm, no one talks about it, it has good reviews and costs 4 times less (on e-bay) than the 135mm. And so light... 135 stays home next trip.
    I need to upgrade soon, my XT may break down anytone now. I must say 600% will make a difference for me this year, work has been slow. Can someone give me a reason, on image quality alone, that I should get the 40D (tempting of course), cry the way from the bank, or get the XTi.

I tried the 40D at the store, the shutter noise is a bit more than I expected reading all that was said about it. I probably expected too much and also, never had the 30D.
  • USUAL CORRECTION POST
    $$, NOT %. The difference between the XTi and the 40D, roughly.
    I have been reading Francis' report very carefully and went out to try the 40D. I'm positively impressed with the AF and the photo burst speed but I must say like Hervé, I was disappointed with its shutter noise, hitting dry and hard, nothing like the rich fat "thump" coming from the 5D shutter (quite similar in the end to some of the Leica R). I was also quite unimpressed with its weather concealment, maybe this is something one shouldn't be impressed about though...

For Hervé : as for the XTI (also called 400D in more civilized countries), I DO NOT recommend this purchase. The body is horribly small, the finish is plasticky, and the viewfinder gives you a feeling that you're aiming through one's a**hole... the image quality is ok although it cannot compete with a 5D.
    I once read something that Adrianw wrote about the 400D : he claimed with more scientific figures than I my own feeling cab bring that the pixels never look sharp. I agree with that statement.

If money is the problem, maybe you could also go for a while with a discounted 30D.

Cheers
    Luko
    From what I've read Canon have rejigged the microlens structure on the 40D, apparently it means that there's a half stop improvement in noise levels over the 400D/XTi. Highlight tone priority looks useful too, particularly for wedding shooters or catching sunsets.

That said I'm still not massively impressed with the samples shown on the Canon site though, at least not at 100% (doing my bit for pixel peeping).

I was gung-ho on the idea of an upgrade, as the live-view would be useful for me in a number of situations, but as you say it's a lot of money, and the improvements in IQ terms aren't as great as I'd hoped.

Personally I'm waiting until folk like DPReview have posted a full review before even considering it.
    Adrian I have a 40D and gave the live view a try, I must say it's way too limited to be a feature justifying a purchase.
    What I like compared to my 350D is burst mode speed, AF reactivity, viewfinder, ergonomy in handling and menus, noise is of course better and 3200 ISO produces acceptable results with a bit of cleaning. I think the highlights mode can be handy although bracketing and HDR would do the trick as well and to my ear the shutter noise is a significant improvement that can be useful in some situations. It also has those picture styles but since I shoot raw and don't use the canon software I believe I don't have much to expect from them, still IQ is significantly vivid, which I like.
    If you've seen your present camera long enough, an option could be to get one for a year or so, and sell it when the expected 5DMkII comes to life, next PMA is a widely accepted date.
    30D is out of the question. You, i believe, and Tom made such a good rap against it (then it was vs 20D) I will not consider it. I am used to these bodies now, after having 300 and 350D (in the civilized world), finish I could not care less, I have been riding hundred of kms in the Rajasthan desert and worse, cambodian dusty roads, with these things around my neck. a little healing brush, and the trick is done, but absolutely never any disfunctionning from the cameras. Viewfinder? I am not a pro, yet these cameras are allowing me to keep imtproving, so as long as it does not smell like an a...hole ;-)...

Really, it's the IQ I am after, and people seem a bit circumspect about it concerning what was to be expected from the 40D. I hope the DP review full test comes out soon.
    So, how about another year of 350 or 400D, minimum cost, delivers even if we know these are not pro cameras, then 5Dx (or 7D) in a year or 2? Skip the 40D?

I think I am not the only one weighing these choices.