Best Canon Lens?? - YOUR OPINIONS

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Re: Best Canon Lens?? - YOUR OPINIONS
    I have Canon 24-70 f2.8 L
    Excellent lens, wonderful in difficult conditions, good sharpness...i love it except one thing: the weight (950g)

Hope it helps :-)
    Hi. I second the motion on choosing Canon 17-40 USM f4/L as your 3rd lens. I purchased my 20D and this lens at the same time and have been raving with the matching performance of my canon body and lens. It's a must have for a wide angle (landscape, nature) shots. =) Good luck on your decision! =)
    Canon Digital EOS 300D Wide Angle fishey
    For sure it is exceptionally practical and quite cheap. :)
    the 17-35 L f/2.8 is an alternative to the 17-40 L f/4
    Well I have the Canon 50mm 1.8 which is a good lens for low light for sure. Then for zoom I have the Canon 70-200 F4 L series zoom. It has super fast focusing with its built in USM. Many say that having Image Stabilization would be better...but I find this lens a super deal and the image quality is outstanding!
    I agree with what has been said about the Canon 50mm f1.8. I've been using it with my 350D, which makes it a wonderful 80mm portrait lens, and at the price, you just can't go wrong.
    Hey Blake,

As for an APS-C sized sensor we can both use EF & EF-S lenses. I got the 17-85 IS USM included as my kit lens. I bought a 50mm f1.8 II and it's cheap and worth the money (takes amazing portraits)! For my telephoto zoom, my hands need IS so I got the EF 70-300 IS, gets decent images too.

So far I'm happy with these lenses and I think its how we use and handle it. I think it depends on what you need...like in my case I'm just learning and on a tight-budget as well.

Given the budget I'll upgrade for the highest image quality I can get in the most versatile and highest quality package I can get.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L USM Lens or
    Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens.

The 17-40 is a very good value with excellent image quality and relatively small size/light weight. I'll get a EF 70-200 f2.8 IS for my telephoto lens. IMO think these Lenses make a nice general purpose set.
    Hi Blake
    One of the lens that I have to recomend is the Canon 70-200 F4 L USM lens. I cannot brag enough about the amount of fun and excellent image quality I have enjoyed with this lens. Some photos can be found in my gallery <a href="
    http://www.trekearth.com/photos.php?cat=lens&id=1024">here. </a> Thanks. Also Canon has designed a much better quality 18-55 lens that replaces the cheap kit lens. You can find a link on that one here. Thanks for the thread.
    I agree - the 17-40 is a superb lens. However, until I can afford the 24-105mm Canon lens my normal walkabout lens is the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. It's relatively noisy, and not-so-wide-angle. However, the quality is excellent, it has a usable f2.8 aperture throughout, and it does have the extra length. I've sometimes felt restricted with the 17-40. The relatively long wide angle of the 28-75 isn't so critical on a full frame SLR (I have a 1DS Mark II).

Having said all this, I still love my Leica screw thread camera with just a 50mm lens, guessing exposure using sunny-16.
    So how come nothing was said about the 10-22?? I was considering it.. is there better choices?

Also whats the 50mm used for other than portraits?

Thanx
    Zein...