RAW - photoshop CS2 help

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Re: RAW - photoshop CS2 help
    Hi Darren,

Thank you for your outstanding explanation. However there is something I don't understand well. A jpeg or a RAW (both 8 bit), once opened, they are all the same you said. I have learned that jpeg has a destructive compression algorithm. So, at least in theory, there must be a difference between them. Otherwise why should we use tiff insted of jpeg to save converted RAW-images after corrections made with PS ? If you see a jpeg-file on screen, it is always a reopened file and the damage due to compression is already done.

Regards,
    Guy
    What I meant is that once they are opened, any 8 bit file is the same as the next; maybe what I should have also mentioned is that the act of saving is damaging though. You are right, jpgs are a lossy compression, information is lost everytime you save. Tiff, psd and others are not lossy, every bit of information is saved on every save; nothing is thrown away. The loss on jpg though only comes through saving, not through the manipulation. If you shoot in jpeg and then immediately save as a tiff, the resulting tiff will be exactly as good as the jpg, nothing will have been lost. If you save as a jpg, there is a slight loss at every saving step. Hope this makes sense.
    I am sorry I cannot help you Mario. I use Nikon Capture to convert RAW-NEF to Tiff or JPEG and I never had that problem. Once it is converted to TIFF or JPEG, that is when I use CS2.

Andre'
    I am sorry I cannot help you Mario. I use Nikon Capture to convert RAW-NEF to Tiff or JPEG and I never had that problem. Once it is converted to TIFF or JPEG, that is when I use CS2.

Andre'
    Hi Guys,
    i've followed some of your advices and yep... the problem is more or less solved. I believe it was the auto-settings that were messing with the parameters... maybe the sharp setting.

I've started to put myself the values, and i don't see noise anymore.

Thanks for your precious imput and attencion

Mário
    Hi Mário,

You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that. For your info: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Digital_Imaging/
    You will find interresting articles about noise, noise reduction, RAW, file formats and more...

Regards,
    Guy