Jeff Mermelstein video - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Jeff Mermelstein video

for those who like street photography - Jeff Mermelstein Video from Media Matters at 2point8. see how he works. he is a great street photographer, his book "Sidewalk" is a classic.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Jeff Mermelstein video

I enjoyed that Mackiek, thanks. What I found interesting was how insecure his body language always seemed to be, right up to the point when he took his shots. He is good at what he does, no doubt about it.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM
TE Senior Member

His camera seems to be one of his body parts ;o) !
I'm amazed how he manages to quickly adjust the focus with his Leica (I assume the exposure has been already set) ...
Old 08-03-2007, 04:20 PM
TE Expert

Late for work again :-(... Thanks Maciej! :-))))

Wonderful. Funny NYC, the guy walks around (with his arm holding the can, as almost in a sling), a video camera is following him, and the people are just not paying attention. Easier even when he shoots right in their faces....

No release, no asking, stealing, he says it, my friends, so no apoligies to anyone for doing so until the last judgement, and eternal damnation... As I watch him going around, his intuitions, refelexes become such an intent when he shoots that he may project the idea he is working for the city, and in a way, he does. No contract, no city hall assignment, but he shoots for the city, his city.

I never saw his 9/11 shots, they are way above anything from Magnum photographers (I promise to look again), and as far as NYC I also think that he leaves someone like Meyerovitz in the dust, by 8am already.

Last, did you hear how he pronouces the word "people". There is a lot of empathy in his outlook, for all the quirkiness and "stealing". His is not cold photography (as in "got the shot!)), he is not stealing at the end, when all is said and done, there is much philosophy and story-telling in the outcome. To be A photographer, moreover a street photographer that leaves something worthwhile, not just visual puns, you have to have this in your photography.

So, thanks Maciej, again.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 PM
TE Expert

yes,ive seen this one in 2point8 b4, a charming chap! well,at least he is not trying to be invisible with a ninja dress! LOL! hes very bold and direct on the contrary, similar to Winogrand's style..

whatever it is or they do, its a different story in New York, people are easy with this, and it makes everything much more easier imo.its not like that for other parts of world (as we all know!.. :)
Old 08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for turning me on to this, Maciej. The man is definitely a son of Gary Winogrand. Absolutely in fact. Same camera too ;o) One difference is Windogrand was if possible even bigger and more threatening as he shot - je just TOOK, this guy is gentler but he has balls of steel just the same. Very interesting, as I say.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:02 PM
TE Newbie

Very inspiring. I'm glad I got the chance to see this. I've never seen someone just get right in front of people like this. He's quick, he circles like a shark on the corner, and at the same time a non-threatening looking guy. Thanks for sharing this Maciej.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:04 PM
TE Newbie

Hey Herve,
I found another quirky photographer. I haven't read his bio yet, but he does seem like he's been around the block a few times. He still has nothing on Mermelstein though.

Richard Kalvar at iN-PUBLIC