Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 06-02-2008, 08:41 AM
TE Newbie

Default Nikon P5100, Canon Powershot G9 or Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens?

OK, the background. My fiance and I bought our house about ten months ago now. We have been taking care of things like air conditioners and furniture and, thus, have had no spare money for a long time. Now, I finally find I am able to breath a little and can reward myself. I am looking at the above three choices and simply cannot decide. I have three days until payday so I need help. Please, if you are a rabid Nikon or Canon devotee, do not preach one over the other. I would really appreciate those who actually have and use these items to respond based on experience and not on favoritism. I am currently using the Nikon D80 and have owned many Canons before that. I love them both. If I do purchase another camera, it will be the one to carry on a daily basis instead of the D80 and two lenses I now carry. The lens speaks for itself. So, any thoughts? Cheers, Paul.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Nikon P5100, Canon Powershot G9 or Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens?

The two compacts have wide-angle limitations, and although a rabid Nikonian, I'd advocate the G9 for its raw capabilities, finding the 5100 frankly over-rated.

Now with a D80, I think I'd go for the Sigma lens, to use it as a "standard", and a wide-open one at that!

Another tool to have in one's pocket might well be the P50 by Nikon, though. It's small, has the equivalent of a 28mm lens, easy to use... and it will eat standard off-the-shelf batteries of all kind!

So to sum it up:
1. ex-aequo G9 or Sigma
3. Nikon CoolPix P50
4. Nikon Coolpix P5100

Hope that it will help you! And sorry to add one element in your ponderation of things!

Cheers,
Olivier
Old 06-03-2008, 04:43 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Nikon P5100, Canon Powershot G9 or Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens?

Hi Olivier,
Thanks for your input. Of the two, I also like the RAW capabilities of the G9. It also has a longer focal length that might benefit certain situations. The G9 is definately bigger, but I am not worried about a small diferance in size. Plus, I really like the look of the G9. It somehow looks like the old style cameras. So I would probably go with that, but now I still have to decide between the camera and the lens! As for the P50, I will do a search on that right now. Thanks for your "help" ;-) Cheers, Paul.