Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-17-2006, 10:09 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Has James Natchwey hit critical mass?

"I am not sure Salgado is an icon of photography in the public at large. Even here, when I put a thread about a whole newspaper issue with extra links concerning him, not even one member commeneted on it." (Hervé)
"I am guessing that this sort of thing is very regional, but my impression is that in North America (guessing to be honest, I don't live there) and in Taiwan for sure, Natchwey is better known than Salgado, by a good margin." (Darren)

That's why I said France would be quite photog specific.
For those not living in France, Paris Match is the best selling news weekly(more people than news, if you ask me, but that's not the point)in France. Just imagine Time or Newsweek (not speaking of the content but for the selling and popularity).
Every 6 months or so, Paris Match dedicates 6 pages to Salgado's work, "Genesis", for the last years.. I think that helps in terms of recognition.

Asked my wife and a few people : they know McCurry, Salgado but said Nachtwey who? I believe that LaChapelle should be more popular in France than Nachtwey, and we also have a bunch of local french photogs whose name would be a lot more familiar like Depardon, Sarah Moon, etc.

As for a few names you mentioned, Darren, I believe they're regional too. I don't think Nachtwey is THAT big outside Anglosaxon countries, Mapplethorpe isn't that known other than in specific groups of people (not even sure PJ Witkin is more popular now)... and for example who knows Arthus-Bertrand outside France, while I have NO DOUBTS his name would come first (or perhaps second after Doisneau) if you randomly ask someone in France.

Cheers
Luko
Old 11-17-2006, 06:42 PM
TE Expert

I planted that because the forum here is about photographers and do not need to be a question to (sometimes) engage us about a style of photo or a photographer. Personally, I tried to make this forum more alive, but if it's all about timing and having the last coolest news, rather than photography, another of my TE lights will turn off. You think Salgado is that much covered in this forum?
Old 11-17-2006, 06:47 PM
TE Expert

Yes, I like the fact, whatever the reason, that not all eggs come from the same basket. It's good any medium, to go against monopoly and cult. Well, that's me saying but you can quote me on that.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:55 PM
TE Expert

there are an awful lot of Artus-B glossy books on sale in the bookstores in SF. He is ZE "coffe-table book" photographer per excellence (with Mc curry the emperor), but as is implied in the label, tons of people could have these books (they do nice gifts) and still not know who shot the pix inside. Maybe I am wrong, but I think one has to be a little interested in photography to know any of these guys. You probably agree that most people reading Pmatch may not pay attention or have the memory span to remember Salgado did that essay. Thes days, to get know, you must hit the 8PM news for a few days. If Nachtwey becomes an hostage, his fame will multiply over night. Par exemple...
Old 11-17-2006, 08:37 PM
TE Expert

I've questioned the people at the office : tell me the names of the most famous photographers youknow. On a 7 gals and guys sample, here are the results :
1 big surprise for everyone : HCB, comes out first!
2 Doisneau close second as I predicted, although they admit they would recognize his images but not HCB's.
3 Arthus Bertrand, who I would have seen first
4 David Hamilton :((

They vaguely know Depardon, the afghan pic of McCurry and the D-Day shot of Capa without the name of the photog attached to the image.

Salgado : where does he play at Real Madrid football team?

Nacht what? Nachtwey who?... they never heard of this guy...

Cheers
Luko
Old 11-18-2006, 05:32 AM
TE Expert

I have very little remembrance who I knew 3 years ago, before I got into DSLR madness. I knew most the names of photographers who shot for my friend, a publisher of travel picture books, basically asian-based guys whose photography is ubiquitous on asian shelves (M. Freeman, Luca Tettoni). I liked Newton in the 80's, Adams I knew for sure, as well as Brassai, Doisneau (the kiss) and Man Ray (the lips) and yes Hamilton (not that I liked but huge poster hit in the 80's) and Mapplethorpe, Capa was probably Capra, and could have been a WW2 filmmaker, for all I knew, while i knew Riefenstahj was also a photograpger (Sudan tribes). Probably would have remembered HCB, Penn and what's his name... ) under torture, but then maybe I could have died before.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:11 AM
TE Expert

Right, Luko. This may indeed be an Anglo-Saxon Divide thing. Among American photo fans, Natchwey is quite well known, if only because of that DVD documentary that shows him calmly shooting in the midst of mayhem.
I would say that Natchwey is far better known among Americans, and less well known in Europe. Also I think his name is connected with Newweek and that helps propel yu (again US interest...)
My 02 cents
Old 11-19-2006, 07:46 PM
TE Expert

interesting because I have no idea about the newsweek connections, a magazine i borrow every week from a friend. Likewise, I now see that Majoli is a "contract" photographer in the staff liner notes (but no photo in the issue itself). Altogether, It's natural that wherever a photographer is based and being published, that's where he is more known. In any case, we are talkig infinitesimal knowledge of them, beyond the coffee-table book stars. Also, there is a bit of sectarism I have found in photography, at least it's my impression. If you like flowers, you are indifferent to war and portrait photographers (or whatever), vice versa, if you like landscapes, you don't care about whatever....See what I mean. So, even for example the TE membership, or Fr or Pbase, they are not so well known as well, I mean not as much as one thinks.

If Nachtwey moved to Roma or Paris, doing the same work and even keeping :-) his corny name (I am not sire how you say it myself, Nashtway, Nartway, Naktway, navet?), he'd get more recognition. Doisneau is probably as famous if not more in anglo-saxon countries, because of his easily readable pictures that say "romance of Paris" so well, plus the Hotel de Ville kiss. Just off my head, I do not think HCB has one picture that went thru the roof like this one, and he is probably getting more known in the last 10 years than ever before, and growing. Nothing like embalming......
Old 11-19-2006, 07:50 PM
TE Expert

Default addendum

If Nachtwey moved to Roma or Paris, doing the same work and even keeping :-) his corny name (I am not sire how you say it myself, Nashtway, Nartway, Naktway, navet?), he'd get more recognition.....
---------------------------------------

.... in Europe.