Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great bjtindle 2004-09-07 23:12

This is great! I want to take rodeo pictures like this!!! I took my first pics of a rodeo in July....then one in August and another yesterday. I find I am addicted. This is terrific! (I am glad you posted all the info on riding, I didn't know all this!) Very wonderful photo. Gimme' some pointers???? Pretty please. :) How did you get it so "light" and how far away were you??? Will my 65-300 do this? (Just got it, the others were with a Sigma 70-250.) Sorry for all the questions. Haven't seen any other rodeo pics besides mine.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:37 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To bjtindle: Rodeo Shots

Hi Betty -- Thanks for your enthusiastic response to my rodeo shots. I'm posting the original of this one as a WS, so you can see what I had to start with. I was pretty far away (I don't know how far, I'm a terrible judge of distance), but more than half-way up the grandstand on the on other side. So, you'll see, I did a whole lot of cropping. Basically, to get this shot, I had the camera on auto-focus, pre-focussed on the field, and then held it and shot just about as soon as they came out of the chute. I managed to get some nice ones (at least, I think so) that way, but missed quite a few also. To be honest, I wanted to get closer, but I was sitting with friends and thought it would be anti-social to go lean over the railing. Anyway, I also brought down the saturation just a bit in this shot because in teh original, I felt like it was too busy and the bronco was melting into the grandstands in the back.

BTW, I added both of the shots to your rodeo theme. You have some nice shots as well.

Mimi
Old 09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To bjtindle: Rodeo Shots

Thanks mimi!! At my first rodeo I was at the very top of the stands, altho they are nowhere as big as the stands in your pic!!! At the second I was right above the chute, refused to sit anywhere else! LOL At my third, just last week, around the arena were lanes for the animals returning to pens and outside that was a dirt lane all around and a fence. I saw people inside close to the returning pens but didn't know if they were allowed to be there for some reason. Next time I will ask more questions so I can get closer. I looked at your workshop photo, you did a lot of cropping. I like the result of your workshop, the picture came out very nice!!! Beautiful shots!! Thanks so much for looking at mine! I do appreciate it and hope to see more of yours!! :)

Betty