Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great joseelias 2005-06-21 8:27

Well, I don’t agree with you when you say that the subject gets lost. In fact when I opened the image my eyes focused immediately in the two sleeping guys at the centre.

The reason is that the dark space at the left “push” our eyes to the right, and the diagonal line in the right “points” to the left. Also the white basket adds a strength element in the centre area and if you look carefully they are framed between two vertical bars.

So this is a very subtle and well composed image and an example on how to break the golden and thirds rule.

Great BW with good contrasts, even if I like the softer version in the WS also.

BTW, why is this holliday so important? What does it commemorate?

Old 06-21-2005, 05:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To joseelias: 30th of April

Hi José, thanks for your thoughtful comments.

I don't know any details, but here's what I could find about this:

Wikipedia (loosely):
The celebration is named after a female saint, Valborg/Walpurgis. She supposedly was active against witchcraft in the 8th century. Fires are lit across the country to symbolize the burning of witches.

The Swedish National Encyclopedia (shortly):
People celebrated the coming of spring. Fires were lit to gather people since church bells were not alowed to be used, dates back to 13th century. Poor people walked around and sang for the rich and in return were given money to be able to throw the party.

My personal experience:
In Swedish university towns, mainly Lund and Uppsala, students celebrate this holiday with great devotion. The city park in Lund usually gets around 5000 people each year. In other parts of the country it's mainly a family holiday where bon fires are lit and people gather around them for a few hours at sunset. A choir might sing some songs about spring. After that it's usually teenagers who celebrate, and I guess many have their first experiences with alcohol during this night.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: To joseelias: 30th of April

This is very interesting; because during the month of June in Portugal (a close date to the one in Sweden) there are the celebrations regarding 3 saints (St. Anthony, St. John, St. Peter – usually each municipality chooses as a patron one of these and have a holiday) and the same tradition of lighting fires is present.

Here, fires are made in the streets and people jump over them. This is usually made by children but not only and big fires can be made for the teenagers and adults. Also people come to the streets in this time to eat and drink in excess because of the celebration. As a result many datings start at this time… :-)

I still remember the smell of the aromatic plants put into the fires and the beautiful aromas filling the air when I was a child! This is also an important event as many of these fires are organized by children themselves (the gathering of wood, aromatic plants, etc.) and are probably the first major organizational task they participate.

Still, many of these commemorations, despite the Christian motives, have a pagan origin and appeared to celebrate the coming of spring and the end of the winter difficulties, as well the exorcism of evil spirits connected with the winter, thus the excesses committed in these dates. The church, unable to combat these traditions tried to transform them in Christian events by attributing them saints. Still the “debauchery” tradition persisted against the Christian values… :-))
Old 06-21-2005, 06:44 PM
TE Junior Member

And there are more examples. I heard the decorations in the christmas tree originally were animal corpses that were offered to please the gods and make the sun return, which I guess is mainly relevant in the northern parts of Europe. We celebrate mid summer on friday by dancing around a pole that is clearly a pagan fallos, but it has been slightly modified and now looks slightly like a christian cross :) I put a picture of that here: http://www.thep.lu.se/~simon/images/P7200030.JPG. There are several version of it, but this is the most common type, often they are twice as big. The "christianizing" consisted in lowering the middle bar. But some prominent fallic features are still there in the rings hanging from the bar :)
Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 PM

:-)))

Very interesting and humourous! This event an explanatory note is certainly deserving to be posted in TE! :-)
Old 06-21-2005, 10:18 PM
TE Junior Member

Yes, it's rather amusing :). It's not my photo though, but I'll try take one myself on friday if I get a chance.