Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 05:54 AM
TE Expert

Default Martin Parr at it again!

Last time I mentionned and vituperated against Parr here, I had no idea who he was. Since, I got to know his work thru the years and totally respect the man and love the photographer. YET!: I have been cracking up for the last 30 minutes looking at his last book on the Magnum pages. It's like "Come on, man!". I dunno, just cracking up, maybe it's good somebody can do this and publish it. It's beyond bad or good of course, and one thing is sure, Parr is not a punster, he does not shoot for the sake of making bad jokes.... So, what about you guys, take a look, what do you think:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/c.aspx?VP=XSpecific_MAG.BookDetail_VPage&pid=2K1HR G74SZ
Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Martin Parr at it again!

I am with you on this one Herve. I have to admit to having very mixed feelings about a lot of Parr's work. Some of it, I really love, some of it seems like someone doing a pale imitation of Martin Parr and some is either over my head or a case of the Emperor not wearing clothes, but since the Emperor is MARTIN PARR, MAGNUM PHOTOGRAPHER, no one is willing to go on record.

To me, this would have been much, much better were it just one photo as a part of a series about something else. A whole set though....not for me.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:16 PM
TE Expert

Maybe the critics for the book will be even funnier (not that it's a funny book)! ;-)

probably has to be seen as part of his work on the cultural flatness and the hegemonic bottomization of urban modern culture and landscapes and.....Oops, I heard some laughs already.... :-))))

can you imagine receiving this as a Xmas or Bday gift? Not even a lovely Rita in sight!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
TE Senior Member

I have to say that it looks a bit "weak" to me...
Did you guys see the shortlist for the Turner prize this year? Now, the limit between art and taking the pi$$ has become very tenuous...
Old 10-22-2007, 03:27 PM
TE Expert

i quite like it, its not about single images here of course;r this guy is a collector, the way he sees the world is refreshing.. a collection of mundane parking spaces all over the world; (just like any other of his work,) he isis one of the pioneers of this type of series and has the *alls for it for sure! ;) in that respect, i regard Alex Soth as one of his successors in Magnum for instance..
Old 10-22-2007, 06:13 PM
TE Expert

Would you buy the book, Evren? Aside from the literary concept and idea behind the subject of that book, the repetitive discourse, anything you find in the composition, and colors, that can be judged on its photography?

One thing, this is nothing new from Parr, There are other stuff that I thought were simply not for me. but as we spoke on another thread of deleting, this ceratinly convinces me I have deleted way too many shots these last 3 years! ;-)
Old 10-22-2007, 07:04 PM
TE Expert

i wouldnt mind to buy why not? i have his Photobook 1 and 2 already
for instance.. a kind of catalog book, and its excellent.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 PM
TE Expert

Photobook 1 and 2
-----------------

A bit different, Evren, and not about his photography at all. editor/Curator work, rather.

I like a lot of what he's done, maybe I should repeat that again.But he is a bit of an "enfant terrible", hence my title. I may also miss out on the brit humour possibly hidden in it.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 PM
TE Expert

thats right, it is not his work, but with the same spirit maybe..

british humour -as you say- sometimes is difficult to perceive! ;) i miss it too most of the time, lol!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 PM
TE Expert

We are missing a few names in this discussion. Francis, don't you barge in in 10 days as usual,, as if the thread was just in..... ;-)

Come on, guys, this is definitely a subject where we can all have something to say, without throwing the Photographer to the Gemonies, for that.