Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM
TE Expert

Default Why not add links to TE galleries in Wikipedia?

(verion français plus bas)

Hi folks,

I often use Wikipedia to write my notes and that gave me an idea: why not add a link in Wikipedia articles to the TE galleries related?

If we all do this every time we use a Wikipedia article, that should help TE to be known by more and more people...

Why do you think about it?

Bonjour les gens,

j'utilise souvent Wikipedia pour la rédaction de mes notes et ça m'a donné une idée: pourquoi ne pas inserer un lien dans les articles de Wikipedia vers les galeries de TE concernant le sujet de l'article?

Si on le fait tous, ça devrait permettre à TE d'être connu par encore d'avantage de monde...

Qu'en pensez-vous?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Why not add links to TE galleries in Wikipedia?

Hello Loic,

not a bad idea, but... have you thought about the fact that wicked people will get more opportunity to steal our shots ? I don't know...

regards,

Luc.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
TE Senior Member

Oh god no! No more Wiki downloads! I really think that they should be banned.They tend to be impersonal, pompous and tedious. Most of all they are not notes at all, but stolen info. If people can't be bother to write their own personal note, juts leave the note out. After all, if you didn't bother to learn anything while you were there, you were hardly learning about the world through photography. I find being hit by a wiki download almost insulting.Give me the personal impression every time.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:54 AM
TE Expert

Luc,

you really seem to have a biiiiig problem with stolen photos. Let me be honnest with you: the only way to be sure that your picts won't be used by someone else on the internet is to keep them away from the net.

I understand in you answer to my idea that you want TE as small as possible to be sure your photo won't be "stolen". TE is a community. As every community, the bigger it is, the more interesting the exchange are. The goal of very one of us should be to try to make TE known by everybody interested in photography... So we have a major point of view difference...

Have a good day and see you on TE,

Loïc
Old 10-03-2007, 10:02 AM
TE Expert

Kevin,

I think you totally missed the point. This thread is about adding links IN Wikipedia TO TE.

But I'll still answer you about Wikipedia. I agree that a note that would only be a copy / paste from a Wikipedia article will note be a good one. Take 2 minutes to look at my notes and you'll see that it's note the case. If the photo shows a sunset over a beach in Sweden, ok, no need for a wikipedia info about Sweden. But if it shows a castle I don't know, I'm more interested in reading informations about the castle (from wikipedia or every other quote) than to know that the photographer is in holydays in the area since he's 10 years old...
Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 AM
TE Expert

Salut Loïc,

c'est une bonne idée et j'ai déjà commencé à ajouter des liens dans wikipédia pour quelques lieux proche de chez moi, en indiquant simplement "photos de #"
# a remplacé par le nom de la ville, de la région ou du pays.

Après il serait intéressant de voir les statistiques concernant la provenance des visiteurs pour voir si cela a un vrai impact, mais cela n'est pas de notre ressort.

a+
Philippe
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 AM
TE Expert

Super, Philippe... :)
Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 PM
TE Senior Member

If you are that worried, don't post. It really is that simple. Just remember, by not posting, you might be depriving thieves, but you will be denying yourself opportunities as well. It sure seems to me like you are far too worried about something that really won't hurt you.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 AM
TE Expert

OK, nobody else have opinions about that way to make TE more known?

I should have add the words "points", "smilies" or "stolen photos" in the title of this thread to make it more alive! :p :p :p

Alors personne d'autre n'a d'avis sur cette façon de faire connaitre TE à d'avantage de gens?

J'aurais du ajouter les mots "points", "smiley" ou "photos volées" dans le titre pour rendre ce sujet plus vivant! :p :p :p
Old 10-04-2007, 11:08 AM
TE Expert

Je viens de découvrir cette discussion aujourd'hui et je suis tout à fait pour. Il faudra encore m'expliquer comment mettre le lien.
John