Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-29-2007, 04:09 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Steve McCurry Burma Workshop

While I don't agree, I do think that some of McCurry's best photos (IMO) get rather overlooked, where his headshots and three quarter length portraits get all the limelight. There is one thing about McCurry though; in my opinion, nobody knows good like and good colors like he does. It might border on eye candy, but we all have a sweet tooth (eye) from time to time.

Interesting tidbit about McCurry is that he was one of the photographers of the Marlboro Man ads in the 70s or 80s. I am not sure that he was the only one, but lots of those iconic death candle ads were taken by him. He also did a lot of product stuff for Kodak back a while ago too.

He is not my favorite, but I think that within his genre, he does it better than pretty much anyone else.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:11 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Oooops...

The first sentence should have read "While I don't disagree". Sorry about my lack of proofreading.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:31 PM
TE Expert

I suppose as many go further than the beautiful shot, passed the "101 course" on looking at photography, we tend to be more drawn towards photos and photographers that relate to the complexity and open-endednes of human experience, something that resonates beyond the WOw of nice light and nice colors. I am sure Mc Curry is not skin-deep, and it would be a deligh to hear about his experience traveling. I must also say that it does not seem to have that much out lately, unlike other Magnum photographers (I hope I am not wrong, he is a magnum P, no?) isn't his latest book and the next one another compilatio9n of sorts from many decades?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:44 AM
TE Junior Member

I remember seeing a big exhibition of his work last year and was a little dissapointed at his recent photoraphs. OK they were nice photos, but basically shots of things that have been shot a million times before in SE Asia. Almost like 'tourist' shots if you like.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:01 PM
TE Expert

Look, he is a STATIC "light and color" man - nothing wrog with that in itself but it's awafu close to high level postacrds if you know what I mean. I shouldn't say that, I mean I've got a couple books by him, including the famous South by SouthEast one with a few stunners inside, but he strikes one as, yes, "static" compared to the moments catured by Harvey for example - always motion blur, people in the midst of something, PLUS lighting, plus color...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 PM
TE Expert

"PLUS lighting, plus color..."
Although I'm not a SMC fan (I have 3 of his books including the flagship S/SE and the incredibly boring but sucessful "Portraits"), You can't sue Mac for flawed lighting or dull colors.

I had read somewhere long ago he had problems with his eyes, from the beginning : he simply could not stand full day light while everybody at that period was shooting in the sun. He was once the ugly duck photographer who had to find sheltered light at the end of the day and learn to master low light or mixed light photography.
These are now classics into the color photog's palette but at least he was inspirational for that.

However, I agree with almost everybody that I am far more impressed with Harvey's work.