Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-11-12 9:52

Hello Jorge,
Interesting note accompanying your photo of the Kaingang woman.
The baskets she sells are colourful and have beautiful motifs.
On my journey through Brazil a long time ago, I have seen people of different skin colour pointing to European, African or Asian origin. Very often also to a mixed origin.
However, compared to other countries I have visited in Latin America (Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru and Chile) I have no memory of the indigenous people of Brazil. It's true that I haven't been to Amazonas (nor different other states of course). Only to Paraná, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Pernambuco.
You write that some of the indigenous people have escaped to Paraguay, Argentina or Rio Grande do Sul. However, the latter is a state of Brazil. How come these people found safety there?
Best regards, Paul

Old 11-12-2021, 07:32 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: indias

paul

remember: Brazil is a big country and you can find each corner very different of the other. you visited one of the most european parts of brazil, in this region you will find few indians in their reserves. in the driest region of brazil (inside the north-eastern brazil) you will see lots of people with a big amount of indian blood mixed with portuguese, it is the same in central brazil. in amazon basin this indigenous heritage is much more evident.
----the guarany indians, who lived in my region) were forced to be christians (they had no choice) when they became more educated the hunters of slaves from são paulo invaded my region and took a big part of them like slaves, others escaped going down paraná river with the spanish priests. in that zones the jesuits created other cities and villages with these same indians, this was a communist experience. their society was destroyed 150 years after because the portuguese and spanish empires didn't like the power of the priests in that region. it is a long explanation. I am not sure if you will understand.

take care

jorge