To danielswalsh: Inukshuk - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great danielswalsh 2008-10-20 18:26

Hi Una;

Ah yes, the Inukshuk... to start things off, I added this shot to my theme on Inukshuk. Although these are not your 'man' looking versions- they are Inukshuk never the less.

I like that you've chosen this angle to capture the Inukshuk against the well known Black Tusk. Making for a nice composition.

I had no idea until my recent trip home (August) that there was such a debate about the Inukshuk being used as an Olympic symbol.

"An inunnguaq forms the basis of the logo of the 2010 Winter Olympics designed by Vancouver artist Elena Rivera MacGregor. Its use in this context has been controversial, both among the Inuit and the First Nations of British Columbia. Although the design is under question, it is widely acknowledged that it pays tribute to the inuksuk that stands at Vancouver's English Bay, which was created by artisan Alvin Kanak of Rankin Inlet, Northwest Territories (which is now in the territory of Nunavut that separated from the Northwest Territories in 1999.)"*

All the best,
- Dan

*wikipedia

Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM
TE Newbie

Default To danielswalsh: Inukshuk

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the comment :) On the very top of Whistler mountain is a very large inukshuk very similar to the Olympic logo, but there are hundred of small ones all the way up the trail to the peak (I wonder what happens to them in winter?). I find it interesting that the inukshuk is the logo for Vancouver 2010 since it's a Inuit symbol and thus used mostly much, much further north...

Cheers,
Una