Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Default Re: WHY are your pics stolen....

Martine; whilst I understand your frustration, personally I don't think that's the correct solution to the problem. Sorry!

One of the things that makes TrekEarth what it is, is that geographical data. It's an integral part of the site. I'd hazard a guess it's a major reason that some people stick around to browse in the first place!

What do I suggest instead? That's a tricky one to answer. As soon as you allow someone to see your shots, they can theoretically copy them. None of the technological fixes really work for internet use, as they're all trivial to bypass. The PrntScrn button is all you need on a PC for example.

My solutions? I'm now limiting the maximum size of uploads online anywhere (500px long edge), and I clearly mark the border with my copyright; that way there can be no confusion that what they're doing is wrong.

Unfortunately that still doesn't stop them. Recently another Trek member kindly contacted me to say that they'd found my work on someone else's site. Do you know what made that particularly galling? It was a "professional" photographer who'd stolen my images to use as *his* portfolio!

Even with that in mind, I'm not in favour of changing anything here. I will continue to post here, at my usual beyond glacier slow pace ;)

If you want a more recent selection, but not necessarily so good head to my Flickr account here. Unfortunately Flickr makes the Workshop thing hard to do...
Old 03-14-2008, 03:08 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Everybody

I am a new member of TE and the subject under discussion is not an isolated problem to this site.
However, there are some sites, where all pics are protected, viz. you cannot copy them to your HD only view.
If such a feature was introduced, I believe the problem would be reduced considerably, but it would not be gone, unfortunately.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:19 AM
TE Expert

Hi Erik;

Those sites you mentioned that do not let you right click- that can be easily overcome by simple doing a screen capture. Unfortunately there is no fool-proof way of guaranteeing that your images will not get stolen.
Disabling the right click feature furthermore goes against one of the functions of TrekEarth in regards to doing workshops for other members (info in the TOS).

All the best,
- Dan
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 PM
TE Newbie

pourquoi tu devrais t'en soucier? Parce que des compagnies qui font des millards de profits ne daigne même pas payer les droits d'auteurs pour acheter des photos.

Par contre, j'ai souvent retrouvé de mes photos sur des présentations powerpoint et cela me choque mais moins... Une demande aurait été agréable...

c'est comme si quelqu'un venait prendre ta tondeuse 2-3 semaines et qu'il te la ramène... ca fait ch**r mais c'est pas si grave que cela...