Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 PM
TE Newbie

Default Why ....?

My photos are in goog color uptil I am uploading to TE they lose the color and it become a dol grey color, why? I do everything as before I did, but now recently this phenomena has come up.
Is anybodody else has same problem?
Regards!
Jamal
Old 03-13-2008, 12:53 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Why ....?

Hi Jamal;

Once you're done working on the image in Photoshop etc. Save it to your desktop and use Windows Viewer to look at it (or for Mac- Preview) to view it. I'm willing to bet it looks the same as it does on TrekEarth. Pointing the problem to your color settings you are working with in Photoshop (or other editor). That would be a good place to start the investigation.

The problem is not with TrekEarth Jamal.

Kind Regards,
- Dan
Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Jamal.
I have noticed the same problem, then learned that web uploading does push back some luminosity,
on any particular hues/tones, regularly, randomly - that I have not yet been able to figure out though.
I have seen other members also addressing that issue in their workshops, here for instance.
So you are not alone.
Good luck.
Kei
Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 PM
TE Newbie

Always use sRGB colour space. If you "save for the web" in Photoshop/Elements, the resulting image will automatically be in that colour space, and will not affect the quality or colour space of the "basic" image, i.e. the one you're working on and save on your drive(s), which can stay in any colour space you like.

But basically, the use of colour space as I have practiced it for years is this: sRGB for internet and minilabs; RGB for inkjet calibrated printing (and even then... sometimes I don't bother).

Cheers,
Olivier
Old 03-14-2008, 09:13 PM

It's a colourspace issue. Basically every monitor (and camera for that matter) displays colours slightly differently. To get around that variation, a thing called an ICC Profile is often embedded into an image. That profile alters the brightness/colours/etc to suit your system.

The trick is that most web browsers are *not* colour profile aware, so the image will often look washed out or oversaturated on someone else's system if you rely on the profile data.

The best workaround is to use SaveForWeb in Photoshop, and uncheck the embed ICC Profile option; that tells the computer to convert the colours so that the "standard" colour response is used. That colourspace is very similar to sRGB.

The final step is to check it in a web browser *before* you upload.