Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great KiiT 2008-02-01 17:27

Oh I enjoy graffiti in New York and this is amazing, considering that it is graffiti, not an ad.
Some people have tremendous amount of energy outside their daily routine. Or this is part of their routine.
I see this is shot in the shade or on the overcast day.
Are you going to post a color corrected version later or is it just my monitor..
I seem to carry the same blue cast myself because of the gloomy fall-winter weather here.
I take this opportunity to mention that your workshop tips are very helpful, Chris.
-K.
ps- I found the notice in the Photographer's Note excellent.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:05 PM
TE Newbie

Default To KiiT: Thanks for your feedback!

KiiT

Thanks for your comment.

This was shot in late afternoon, almost early evening. The sun was low in the sky, and this art was in the shadow of the building across the street. I wanted diffuse sky lighting to keep the contrast and saturation in balance. I did not notice the blue (cyan) caste until you brought this to my attention...thanks!

Apparently, there was some orange ambient light from the low sun angle which my camera's AWB corrected-for by adding blue/cyan.

Glad you find the workshop items helpful.

Regards,

Chris
Old 01-28-2008, 06:43 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To KiiT: Thanks for your feedback!

Thank you Chris for a follow-up.

In fact that is where I have biggest problem - color management - and
I wonder if you could help me improving this one.
That is my first post (my biggest embarrassment) and I want to do a re-post.
I have done a workshop but was not sure if I got it right.
If you could give me some suggestion, or a serious work flow if you have extra time,
I would very much appreciate it.

...Warmest regards,
Kei
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To KiiT: Thanks for your feedback!

Kei

I looked at the original and your WS...you made significant improvement in the WS. Question...what sharpening technique did you use on the WS?

I will look more closely at both images this evening and give you a more complete response either tonight or tomorrow morning. (I am speaking from the perspective US Eastern Time, where it is now 6:14 AM on Monday.)

Regards,

Chris
Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To KiiT: Thanks for.....!

Chris
Thank you for your reply,

Oh sharpening... that is another embarrassment, I need to learn a
proper amount of sharpening for web posting too..

I am afraid that I went wild and sharpened twice, first regular Sharpen,
then Unsharp Mask, amount 150, radius 0.3, threshold 0.
That was using Photoshop Elements 4.0
(only option at the moment is Photoshop 6.0).

Thank you so much for your time.
Kei
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
TE Newbie

Over-sharpening is a frequent problem.

I do not generally use the Unsharp Mask in PS as it can tend to make certain types of structures in some images overly sharp while others just okay. It is difficult to control. However, as it is mask, you can mask-out or mask-in areas you want sharpened and not sharpened, and by varying the mask painting brush density (opacity & flow) you can modulate the sharpening effect. But that is a lot of extra work!

My preferred sharpening technique (workflow) is this:

1. Perform all other post processing, and especially crop & resize for posting. If necessary, save two or more versions of the image without sharpening. Sharpen only as the dead last step, and if possible, just before you post or print or send the final image file.

2. When ready to sharpen, flatten all layers and delete all layer masks (alpha channels). Make duplicate background layer. Set blend mode to "Soft Light"--DO NOT LOOK AT THE IMAGE AT THIS STEP!

3. Alt+T, O, H...this will run the filter, other, High Pass dialog box. Select one of the following settings for an image sized for TE posting: 1,2, or 4 pixels. You can select larger amounts for bigger image files, but except for "1", do not select any odd-number of pixels. For TE postings I usually use 1 or 2 pixels. I suggest you start out with 2. Click OK.

4. Look at the image now. Turn the sharpening layer on and off a few times to see the effect and evaluate how you like it. If it appears too sharp at all, reduce the layer opacity to exactly 50% (effectively changing the sharpening amount from 2 pixels to 1 pixel). Strongly suggest you use opacity 50% or 100% only, and not other percentages, as you want to avoid fractional pixel sharpening, which can actually blur some image structures. (If you had a larger file and had used 4 pixels on the High Pass filter setting, then you could select opacity of 100%, 75%, 50% of 25% only, meaning, 4, 3, 2, or 1 pixel sharpening, avoiding fractional pixel settings. This is also why I suggested not using odd-number pixel settings with the filter).

5. You can also restrict the sharpening at this point (remove it or reduce it from certain areas) by creating a layer mask on the sharpening layer, filling with black, and then and painting on it with a white (or gray) brush.

6. When satisfied, flatten the sharpening layer and save the file, perhaps adding "sh" or "SLHP" to the end of your filename, indicating this version of the file has been sharpened.

Chris
Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 AM
TE Newbie

Kei,

I posted a workshop.

Can you send me the original unedited file of this image?

Thanks...

Chris
Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
TE Newbie

Chris ! - wonderful promptness.
-and, W O W !!!

That is what it was supposed to be.

That was exactly what I mean,,
I got so comfortable with the blue(-gray) that
I forgot what the original scene looked like until I see your version.
(Dear fellow TE members, if you are interested, you are cordially invited to view.)
I want to rate this "Useful" million times...

As for the sharpening, I am pausing at the action #3.
Just do not seem to be able to run the filter with that command..
What am I doing wrong... (also novice at layers..)

I am sending you the original (straight out of RAW) shortly.

Thanks a million again (that is indeed a serious workflow).
Kei
Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 AM
TE Newbie

3. Alt+T, O, H...this will run the filter, other, High Pass dialog box. Select one of the following settings for an image sized for TE posting: 1,2, or 4 pixels. You can select larger amounts for bigger image files, but except for "1", do not select any odd-number of pixels. For TE postings I usually use 1 or 2 pixels. I suggest you start out with 2. Click OK.

I was giving you keystroke steps to run the filter. However, instead, you can use your mouse...with the duplicate layer selected (layer blending mode set to Soft Light first), click on the "Filter" pull-down menu, go to the bottom of menu listing, click on "Other", which will give you another short menu: click on "High Pass" to open the High Pass filter dialog box...etc.

If this does not work with your version of PS, try Help and look up High Pass Filter or Filter, High Pass.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 AM
TE Newbie

Thank you Chris, I was able to locate the High Pass thing.
Did my email get through to you? -K.