Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 06:12 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: EOS 40D USER REPORT

I have a store nearby my home that has the 40D on display, so i dropped by a couple times since it came out, and somehow, my only problem is I find it rather weighty and bulky. I really like the idea of a camera as an extension of my eye and arm, not a prothesis, and have gotten used to the smaller 350D type cameras. besides, I am not a pro, not on assignment anywhere to "deliver" at all costs. And when out, the camera is always either in my hand or on my neck! I realize that it's pretty much the format ambitious P. have, worse with a handgrip, but the extra weight would be justifiable on IQ only.

Alas, on the web, you can't have any serious assessmnet of that. It just goes from 400D being simply as good, to better than the 5D. Then people question the authority of the reviewer, and it goes on for a full page of nay and yea sayers. If it's that close and debatable and hair-splitting, i'd think IQ is a non-issue, no?

Have you had any better chance than me in pinning down that question of IQ? if that can help, a better IQ at 800 or 1600ISO over the 400D would already tip the balance towars 40D, if all other things are equal.

PS: see, Peter (homerhomer)I can cut hair in 8 too....800ISO, :-)))))
Old 11-04-2007, 06:25 PM
TE Expert

"It just goes from 400D being simply as good, to better than the 5D."
This is laughable. I have both 400D and 5D... on image quality especially above 400ISO there is no challenge to the 5D.

Though I can't reply for the 40D but I have not been so impressed with the 400D performances in the high ISO range. My only reason for keeping it is because I have a dedicated underwater housing, and at 500 euros camera body price I wouldn't have to kill myself if it eventually drowns because of a leak in the housing.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:31 PM
TE Expert

Thanks, Luko, I realize I should have been more precise. what is said is 400D as good as 40D, on one side, and on the other side 40D as good as 5D. Now, yes, that's all bull, so where stands the 40D? Closer to 400D or to the 5D?

DPreview has no comparison with 400D, and besides, they, if i recall, speak very little of comparative IQ. Gee, $&%*!!!!, woudln't it be nice to simply get what you pay for, for godfreakin' sake!!!!

:-))))))))
Old 11-04-2007, 11:23 PM

> ...so where stands the 40D? Closer to 400D or to the 5D?

Hervé; based on plenty of experience with the 400D/XTi, and no experience other than looking at samples for the other two; I'd say that at ISO100 the 40D is far closer to the 400D/XTi in image quality terms.

Look at the samples provided @ 100% and I think they speak for themselves. The 400D is slightly noisy at base ISO, and has slightly soft pixels; I think the claims of half a stop better for the 40D is about right, but the 5D is streets ahead of either in IQ terms at ISO100 IMO.

I don't use high ISO much; so I haven't investigated that thoroughly. All I can say is that the 400D/XTi is significantly better than my 10D ever was there.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 AM
TE Expert

Excuse my French ;o) but some of you are beginning to sound like a bunch of neurasthenic pixelpeepers. I actually own a 40D, and I honestly think in general terms the IQ is a tad better than the 20D/30D (remember I had a 20D once). Having said that there is a hell of a lot more to a cam than this pixelpeeping chat, things like AF "bite", responsiveness, handling, viewfinder, shutter noise (quiet...) and on all these counts the 40D is a remarkable tool, trust me. AF is far superior to what I encountered with the 5D, any day, hands down. Michael Reichman of Luminous Landscape, although not a pixelpeeper, knows a thing or too about image quality and he RAVES about the 40D. It is NOT, I repeat NOT the same bloody sensor as the 400D (based on, maybe but seriously altered and improved - read the White Paper). And according to dpreview the 14D processing for RAW really makes a difference in DR.
It is all in all the culmination of the affordable Eos line and I love it - great little cam, no complaints from me, user and owner.
Now am I waiting with baited breath for the new iteration of the 5D?
YOU BET!
;o)))