To AKF: Cropping the clouds - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great AKF 2007-05-21 12:42

A beautiful cloud formation. I only wish the mountains were more visible than the brown...grass is it? I would work a bit more on the crop. Beautiful colors and good the way the pink contrasts with the white cloud and the blue sky. I might try to increase the contrast a bit more and work on a more spectacular crop. I like this photo a lot, but prefer your last post a bit more because of the crop.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:16 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To AKF: Cropping the clouds

I did an all-around crop on this before posting, taking a small amount of clear sky and a larger amount of the foreground. I was debating whether to leave just a sliver of the slight rise in front of me, but thought the mountains in the background were too distant to handle that.

Before posting I also had a higher contrast version, but felt the top of the cloud lost definition and turned into a glare area. The colour also shifted too much into red for my taste.

I'll be interested to see what you are able to accomplish as it should help me with a burning sky sunrise I'm working on.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:34 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To AKF: Cropping the clouds

You would like me to do a workshop on this? Or did I understand your last sentence incorrectly?

I'm not very good with daily life and sunset pictures. I critique according to how I see other sunsets and the impressions they give me.

What I'm "good" at is portraits and pictures taken when I am in control of all variables: lighting, subject etc. If you want to see some of my work in that area you can check out my TL account: http://www.treklens.com/members/AKF/photos/

I have one sunset picture that I really like, but that is about it. Maybe it's my camera or maybe it is just that landscape and daily life pictures are not for me. The examples of my work here on TE are not good.

Thank you for taking my critiques seriously, I appreciate that very much, but impressions vary from person to person obviously so I might be wrong sometimes :D
Old 05-22-2007, 10:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To AKF: Cropping the clouds

I think I might have misinterpreted your original critique as I thought you might be working on a workshop of this one ... so you don't have to do one.

I think a lot of how we look at what we post is influenced by how we know the original version looked. Obviously we think the posted version is better but someone else's eyes might be able to see where even further improvement could be obtained. Thus I am pleased to receive anything constructive, even while I might be defending what I did. :-)