Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-09-2003, 04:18 PM
TE Newbie

Default Photography including unknown persons

I love photographs with people as the main subject. I would like to know how you proceed when you donít know these persons. Do you ask their permission to do so ? by gestures only ? verbally ? Do you shoot them secretly ? Do you use very long telephoto lenses ? Is your strategy different in the industrialized countries ? Thanks to share with me your hints and tips.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:27 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Photography including unknown persons

Well, I certainly can't speak for everyone, but I can try to pass along my ideas. Sometimes I get an agreement from my subject by simpy holding up my camera and seeing what he/she does. If they motion no, I NEVER take the shot. However, there are also times when I set up to take somewhat candid shots. When I do this, I tend to set up in a relatively obvious spot, but I do not ask permission first. If my subject reacts negatively after I have taken my shot, I will not post it here or elsewhere, but otherwise I will put it up. For pretty much any of the shots of mine you see here, my subjects know their photo was taken, even if I did not ask permission beforehand. Legally, the requirements are much looser I believe. I think what you are comfortable with is likely the biggest stumbling block for many people, as opposed to legal rules. Hope this makes some sense.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Photography including unknown persons

I use all of the previously mentioned techniques.

Now that I'm shooting digital I generally will walk over to the person who's picture I've taken and show them on the LCD. I've never found anyone who didn't break out a nice big smile. I often get requests to take more pictures. Granny and the babies are hassled out of the back rooms....