To manu_itu: recommendations - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great manu_itu 2006-08-02 10:16

The best part of the best photograph is honestly witnessing of what eyes refuse to beleive and heart sinks to the mystic beauty that nature has to offer. Great that you were their at that time. I visited chandratal in sept. last year and have kind intention of repeating the feat. in December or Jan(Bottomline: I want to see all the white spread-out). It's great to know you have already seen it real cold and frozen. I'd been spending hours over net since a week or so to have a clue or dos and donts of Spiti in Decemer-Feb. 2006-2007. Hey sarju, can you mail me details of it. I plan to walk it across, Starting from Jagatsukh-Khibber-Back to manali. I am [email protected] Please...Puhleeeease! Get me going.!!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 PM
TE Expert

Default To manu_itu: recommendations

hi manu
I would not recommend to visit Chandra Tal in Dec-Jan as it snows a lot in that region.
Infact I would not recommend any trek in the higher reaches of Himalayas during winters (it snows like crazy) ... only thing that you can do in winters would be to visit Spiti Valley or Ladakh and do some treks over there. Both of these areas eventhough cut off from the indian plains remain open within themselves and can be lots of fun to visit during winters.
in a nutshell ... fly to Leh and do treks in Ladakh ...
have fun .... ciao .... sarju
PS: where are you located in India
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 AM
TE Newbie

Default Driven

Dear Sarju
I live in Chandigarh. Thank you very much for quick reply and some valuable recommendations. A group of 6 guys is leaving for round-the-Himalayas-National Highways trip on bikes from chandigarh on 8th of August. The self tailored mission is called " Operation WHITE DESERT STORM". It was supposed to be 9 guys team initially, but I opted to drop out and prepare myself for the coming winters adventure "Saltlake". Last year I drove my bike from Kaza to Manali in non-stop snow-fall, rain and you know the beautiful Kunzum and Chota Dharra while it's raining and snow fall. I admit that I had almost given up any hopes when guys at Rohtang pass poured hot caffe on my hands to defreeze the clotted blood in viens. Passed through landslides, mud slides, water rushing to 45 deg. ascending road into a big hole that you can't see and all this when the chain of my bike was loose to mercy and Handle T bent to some 35 degrees, i.e. I had to adjust the handle atleast 30 deg Right to get the front wheel aligned to the road.

This as I thought before I left for the journey, was not adventure.Rather, for the very first time in my life I realised how fragile and small we are infront of mighty nature. I thought I could have died long time back. i never thought I ws going to be that tough. NO, i was not. I had my share of cowardice and panic wherever I got oppertunity. I cried when I felt like someone could hear. I became superstitiouse all along the way. I lost weight thinking about the steep descending Kunzum-la road, when it will be wet and snow reducing visibility to zero and hitting your face with thousand tiny needles, time and again without letting you catch a good breath for a moment, making your face go blue in no time, untill you realise you must keep moving your Jaws so that they don't freez, and your fingers holding the clutch somehow must move around all the time. And all this becomes a beautiful song very soon. The white desert, mighty mountains, become one with you. It's only then you feel," Hey look out,. . I can see in her eyes, she's nature and at this moment, she knows me too."

I felt we had good conversation."Will I survive?"----"Dare you survive me?"-------"Where's this all going to take us two"?---------"Where do you think you are heading to?" and hundred thousand things we shared.

Manali was warm and hell luxurious. Things had changed for me by now. I knew I'd go back. . . and it definately won't be very bad decision to let the nature decide....."Dare you go home today?" ---"I don't know. . . I love you so much, i can't stop myself coming to you again. . my wife and my son loves me like I love you. They'd be happy to see me back too.' I am a lover not a fighter.The ball has always been in your court"........
Old 08-04-2006, 05:19 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Driven

Good to know that you respect nature ... this is the first trait that I look in people when I am selecting people in my groups for trekking.
brother .. I have been mostly living in chandigarh eversince coming to India.
give me a call at 9418-344-687 sometime and we can plan to have some meeting or something sometimes.
Tomorrow I plan to leave for my village in Punjab but I will be back in chd. again
bye for now and thanks for sharing your experiences .. its nice to know that I am not the only crazy one ... lols
have a good night brother
cheers .... sarju