Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-25-2006, 08:46 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: TE getting slightly out of focus?

Let's not forget a "key" ingredient to the TE mix: the NOTE. If your note somehow "makes the connection with culture" than even a seamingly inappropriate image can be made relevant. I think you have to look at the total package. Someone who thoughtlessly, selfishly posts a photo of a pet or an obvious shot of a close relative or spouse is asking for touble, that stands to reason, especially when there is nothing in the note that could ossibly redeem the shot.
All I'm saying is that it's not absolutely straight forward.
One more thing: just because you are a sh..t hot photog does NOT give you the right to upload arty pics of family members, that is just testing the system, showing off your technique at the expense of everyone. It is too easy to blame "newbies", guys just off the boat so to speak, who stumble in there with a close-up of a butterfly or a plain beach shot. Look closely and you will see seasoned, pro-level guys sometimes knowingly taunting the system, and that seems worse to me, don't you agree?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:24 AM

The reason I suggested mandatory notes is because many images that could certainly fulfil the TOS of the site if they had notes included, teach us very little without them. For example, a closeup of a flower without notes is generally just a pretty picture. If the notes tell us that the flower only grows in certain areas, we are learning.
I also agree that some shots can stand well without notes, but I have yet to see a picture where more information wouldn't help.
Finally I definitely agree with Furachan's comment about ability not giving the right to 'test the system'.
We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that although the photographer obviously knows the area where the photograph was taken, the viewer may not have a clue.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:05 PM
TE Expert

well, Simon posted a pix of a stool, red cloth on, and a foot, and though it is part of a series, I believe it would not be removed otherwise. It will also probably have over 20 lauding critiques by the end of the day. Who shall be the judge?

I think KevRyan is right. TE is, thankfully, as much about photography in the world as it is about the world seen thru our eyes. Best is when it is seen thru the eyes of a camera, as a photographic work, of course! ;-)

BTW, pixel, TE is not that huge of a site, compared to others. FlickR tops the first 400 of ALL websites, Pbase around 2000th, Pnet not sure, but TE comes around 15000th. People come and stay here because they like the format, not to get extra views, IMO.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:26 PM
TE Senior Member

What a really interesting discussion this has been! I confess to having been irritated by pictures, from which I could learn nothing about the world: by pictures that have caught my interest but have failed to provide a needed note, and, most of all, by pictures that contain notes with totally erroneous information. That is, assumptions of the most superficial kind, about what is being photographed, without taking the trouble to find out anything about it. It is this involvement- this finding out about- which for me is essential to my enjoyment of the site.
Trek earth, implies a journey, and a journey is a dynamic interaction with what you find; not an un-comprehending and passive observation of it.

A TE friend once said to me (and I remember what people say!) ďIf itís not in the picture, itís not there.Ē I learned from that. Itís no good telling people in the note that something interesting is going on, if the picture itself doesnít show that too.

However, I donít agree that a note is not essential. Travelers are not tourists. Tourists pass through a country contained in a satirized bubble, seeing but not comprehending. Trekkers touch, feel, and get to know, care about the country, talk to its people. They learn something about the country and the culture and so they, and their pictures, have something to say about their experience.

A beautiful landscape might well stand alone (many picture do not) but I canít think of one, that would not be better appreciatedí if it had some information about the journey there, how it relates to the rest of the country and living of the people etc. For me, itís the note that makes the bridge between tourist and the traveler, and the traveler always has something to say.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:01 PM
TE Expert

Indeed Kevin

I say it with the words of Yitzhak, I don't think he will blame me for that cause he said it very simple:

"This work is somewhere between journalism and art ....." the original idea of TE ?

A simple wondering personal reflection discovering a total differant world tells more then a thousand words. If the photo has no story, the note will never put it there.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:14 PM
TE Expert

Well said Henk and Kevin - no absolutes in my mind but a very high level of agreement in what you've both said.

best wishes Kev
Old 05-27-2006, 01:46 PM
TE Newbie

As a new member, I was not sure if my photos should be on TE or TL as my skill with a camera and spelling is not up to some the quality that I see on TE, so I feel a a bit out of place.
I would be happy to post all my photos on TL if that is where I should be, I ended up on TE as that just happend to be the first one I found and I caught the fever.
so be honest! I wont be hurt where should I be, I suspect it would be TL.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:55 PM
TE Newbie

I do totaly agree with you.

I, Myself have sometimes posted shots that doesnt say much about my country but I do my best not to ... but i always warn the ones who do not post any thing with their shots... but i doubt they listen to me ...

I do agree with you but there are ltos of people who do post & help us learn about the world ... :)
Old 05-29-2006, 10:28 AM
TE Expert

"If photo has no story, the note will never put it there" I agree with you Henk ... but if the photo has already a story why write it twice? You've already wrote it with light... leave the pen to one's mind and let the photo be what one's want it to be.

Well, maybe my own focus has changed, i still like to write notes as much as i can though, but to be completly honest, i start to thing that a great photo has the story written by itself... nothing wrong with that...

I like to read some shorter notes, i start to drift with the longer notes, i like your notes to be honest... short and straight :)
Old 05-29-2006, 03:31 PM
TE Newbie

I don't understand why those who do upload what seem to be unsuitable images here, just don't join TrekLens, too, and post them there, and that way have the best of both worlds.

Andrew.