Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-22-2006, 07:43 PM
TE Newbie

Default how to...put on an exhibition

hello folks,

i was wondering if anyone has any tips on putting on a photography exhibition. i've just returned, to scotland, from 19 months of travelling in south asia & have thousands of pictures. (probably about 50 worth showing!)

has anyone been in this situation before...any websites i could look at? any advice about approaching people for funding/sponsorship would be especially useful. also, what photos do you find are easiest to exhibit (although, i'm fairly limited to portraits!)?

ooooh, also, any comments/good websites around on the new mac laptop & nikon d50?

finally, how do you survive going from 45 degrees in india to 8 degrees in scotland....not easy!!!!!!!

ta muchly,
skye x
Old 05-22-2006, 08:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: how to...put on an exhibition

Ask at public places - museums, libraries, even your old school. Try your local pub. I did and will have an exhibtion next month.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:10 AM
TE Expert

what sort of exhibition Skye - what do you want to do?...and whereabouts in scotland are you.......as for 45 degrees to 8 - just enjoy it......cool down!!!

best wishes Kev
Old 05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
TE Newbie

hi kev,

thanks for the reply.

the sort of exhibition...well, i guess that's what i have to work out. i have quite a lot of ideas; a series on travellers (the modern day nomads), photos from the earthquake in pakistan (i went to kashmir to volunteer). and i have a year's worth of portraits from india, china, pakistan, tibet...

i was hoping there would be some webpages with tips about chosing what to exhibit...well, a beginner's guide anyway. have you ever seen anything like that on the net?

i'm in perth at the moment but should be moving through to edinburgh in the next few weeks. unless the cold gets to me & i run away to warmer climes! where are you based?

take care,
skye
Old 05-23-2006, 03:40 PM
TE Expert

I'm in Loughborough - between Nottingham, Derby and Leicester - I guess I could try and help you remotely as far as I can - I have put on a lot of exhibitions and run and am setting up a small gallery space locally - I'll post you an on-line link - got to rush right now but we can carry this on through e-mail or here - I did organise one quite major exhibition with a member here on TE which was very successful - I'll give you the link to that as well.

best wishes KEv
Old 05-24-2006, 03:26 AM
TE Expert

Hi - a bit more time to answer now

There are very few formal gallery spaces where-ever you go - the quality of spaces varies - so you need to think about the kind of quality of space you are looking for - art galleries are very difficult to get into usually, libraries often have long waiting lists, museums are sometimes posibilities - some art galleries have smaller exhibition spaces they hire out. Community buildings, businesses and universities are worth considering but it's often who you know that secures the get in.....some pubs and restuarants hold 'exhibitions' - then there are other community venues.

Most places you can get money for support want an in on the idea before you do it - before you take an image - sometimes local authority artgs officers will agree to support an exhibition - or you could try sponsorship - again not always easy.

You really need to think about the theme or message of your exhibition - financial support comes more readily if there's a story to sell it on - it's not always easy.

Costs - printing of course - what size, how to frame - pictures look best in frames that are a good borders width bigger than the image - we've purchased a set of 20 x 30 inch frames for 18 x 12 prints - mounts cost too - some galleries have hire fees - you may want to publicise it and have people along to an opening night......

I've made very different exhibitions when all the above has proved impossible - from no money, venue, frames or interest from other bodies -

I don't know if i made it sound hard - well the reality is it can be....

...that's why I asked you what you wanted....and where?...and when...for who and what for? Not to put you off - the opposite to encourage you to think about it more ....

will e-mail links

best wishes - tc kev