Woodland shots

• Being an amateur and looking for any advice, I have been trying to take woodland shots but can never seem to get it right, If I take my Olympus OM 10 with a 200 film, and if I use my Olympus digital, I have no better success on either auto setting or spot meter setting, I am always dissapointed with the results, I have asked around my friends and the general opinion is to use a 400 film,The type of woodland I am trying to capture is open with varying degrees of light and darkness,I generally go on a bright sunny day, I am never quite sure what settings to use, Help and any advice would be appreciated.
  • Re: Woodland shots
    Generally, lower speed film with capture more detail so I would suggest nothing faster than 200, preferably 100, and tripod to enable the use of slow shutter speed with small aperture.
    The contrast between light and dark on a bright sunny day is always going to be a problem. With digital you could always experiment with fixed aperture and varying the shutter speed to capture highlight and shadow detail seperately and merge in Photoshop or similar.
    Thank you Keith for your reply, I will try a lower speed film out and see how I get on.
    Donald
    A few words of advice when taking woodland shots.
    1. Always use slow speed: around 100 ISO. This will ensure better quality and more detailed shots.
    2. Definitely use a tripod, as in woodlands it tends to be poor light.
    3. Use a Neutral Density filter, as this will even out the light and give you better quality images
    4. Try to avoid taking such pictures on bright sunny days as the difference in light levels can cause over exposure on parts of the picture. For best quality light you will have to shoot the pictures very early in the morning when the light is soft and warm, or late afternoon/evening one hour before sunset.
    5. Make sure there is little wind or breeze when you take the shots as this could lead to a blurry picture. Windy days, therefore, are out of the question.
    6. Use an aperture setting of around f5.6 to f8. This range will give you the best optical quality for most lenses.
    7. Think carefully about the composition. This is a personal thing of course, but ensure that the composition you choose uses the light to your advantage. Avoid shooting into the light, or scene with sharp contrasts in light as this could cause exposure problems.
    Cheers
    Good luck
    Aubrey
    I just want to confirm the advice that Aubrey listed is very good advice. That is an excellent way to capture good images in the woods!