Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-25-2005, 09:59 PM
TE Newbie

Default Adam: Greenland on the map?

I notice that Greenland is considered a state of Denmark. I suppose there is some political correctness in this, but Greenland has had Home Rule since 1979.

But as the world's largest island it shows prominently on the map shown by our profiles. As I am adding Greenland photos this week, it would be better to light up Greenland on the map instead of Denmark, thousands of miles away.

I suspect this database is something you import, so it may be non-trivial to fix, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents your way on the issue as I did when Gibraltar didn't show up as a separate entity - another debatable "country".
Old 11-26-2005, 12:17 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Adam: Greenland on the map?

Since Greenland is an overseas administrative division of Denmark, in keeping with other country/state designations I think it should remain as a part of Denmark.

As for the map highlighting, Greenland will not be highlighted because of the exaggerated size based on the map type chosen.

The determination on whether to make a location a country or not usually depends on whether they are a UN member. I think Taiwan is the only exception.