Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-03-2005, 07:21 AM
TE Expert

Default NEW EOS 5D: HANDS-ON REPORT FROM TOKYO

I spent half an hour playing with the not-yet-released EOS 5D this morning in the Canon Ginza showroom and I thought my EOS brethren at TE might like to know what my impressions were.

I should tel you right from the start that I went into that room with trepidation, scared that I might fall hard for the 5D and have to fork out ll that money in a few months but…I fell in lve with the EOS ID MarII instead! What a HOOT!

Back to the 5d.

1. The viewfinder:
I must confess I was disappointed there. It feels “a little” larger than the 20D’s but…it ha a yellow look to it you get with Sigma lenses sometimes… the 20D7s by comparison is much more neutral and, actually more pleasing to look through. Apparently canon are cutting costs on the 5D where they think they can,and they’re not using a top notch mirror system… The 1D’s viewfinder is HEAVENLY.

2. The shutter: (The GOOD and the UGLY)
The GOOD: It is much, much quieter than the 20D making the 5D a better “stealth” camera. This is actually pretty significant as the 20D ha a tendency to go off like a….CANON, yes!
The UGLY: the 5D shutter is sloooooooooow like molasses. It’s syrupy slow compared with the lightning fast 20D. I mean it’s very noticeable: the la between pressing and taking the shot.
Claude (are you reading this?) – if you’re upgrading from a 10D you may not notice anything at all.

3. AF
Again it doesn’t feel razor-like responsive like the 20D or even the cute, sawed off 350D. It kind of slouches towards its destination. Not realy slow, more “lethargic”. Just my subjective feel. Of course this al gets mixed up with the shutter response which takes, you know…a while.

4. GENERAL HANDLING and “FEEL”
It’s basically a 20D on a small regimen of steroids. If you have largish hands you might find it a slightly better fit, kind of like an old analog 1D, ya know? I would say that I prefer the feel and weight of the 20D – the 5D has a hybrid feel to it – not quite pro at al but not exactly a 20D either…

5. CONCLUSION
If the 20D I like a tiger in the grass waiting to pounce at any moment, the 5D is like those fat neutered tomcats you see lying down on sofas in middle-aged people’s homes.
I realize this is a very subjective and controversial view. Photogs wanting Full Frame at around $3000 have no choice but to run straight for the 5D, but if you don’t need that right now and are basically satisfied with your 20D, then I would not recommend switching.

I left the shop a) relieved that I was not impressed with the 5D, b) feeling warm and fuzzy about my 20D and c) troubled by these new feelings of love for the 1D MK II that I absolutely MUST NOT think about, LOL

Cheers,
Francis
Old 09-03-2005, 08:36 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: NEW EOS 5D: HANDS-ON REPORT FROM TOKYO

3. AF

AF's performance really depends on the lens used and not on the camera body used. What type of lens was monted on the 5D when you tried it. How fast was the lens betwen a close up focus and an "infinite" focus?

Anyway, I'm saying it again, the responsiveness of the AF depends on the lens used. On the other hand, how precise is the AF depend on the body. So how precise was the AF in very low light condition?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:30 AM
TE Expert

I used it with a 50mm f1.8 and the new-fandangled 24-105mm IS L lens. I didn't test a real low light situation (the place ws super well lit...;D)
What I am saying is the AF didn't have the "bite", the definite oomph I am used to in the D20, but this is highly sukjective.
I am much more confident about the shutter dragging compared to the 20D, in fact that's fairly well documented elsewhere.
The Af scientifically is pprobably comparable/ I will say this: it is in NO WAY, an improvement...
Best regards,
Francis
Old 09-03-2005, 10:56 AM
TE Senior Member

funny.
In fact I am still looking for my eos 1N... digital..
I'll buy it anyway. I don't need something fast. I just want the Full format and the 13 millions pix..
I simply don't want the bulky eos 1mark II , D or DS..
tahaks for the report
Old 09-03-2005, 12:03 PM
TE Expert

Salut Claude,
I realize this camera is pretty much what you have been looking for - it will serve YOUR needs. My homorou, tongue-in-cheek report was more to reassure the rest of us "20D users" that hey, our beast may be a little LOUD, but it's a great camera and let's not panic now...
I realy meant the report to be entertaining///it's hardly what you7d call "scientific"..;D)
Bon weekend, Francis
Old 09-03-2005, 12:23 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for the report Francis.
I suspected something fishy when I read that 3 im/sec. specs (compared to our beloved 20D 6 i/s.), your report seems to confirm that suspicion, not that I need speed but the all the specs built around (focusing speed and shutter gap, and well I was happy with such motor speed at the jumping cats monastery)... no sensor autocleaner, either...
FF is a BIG improvement, however, should we wait another year for the 40D? ;D
(well, for me I don't see how I would cash out 3000 euros just for the sake of a new camera body)
Old 09-03-2005, 12:33 PM
TE Senior Member

Autofocus A new-design 9-point system is responsible for autofocus in the 5D. The centre AF point acts as a cross-type sensor with lenses whose maximum aperture are f/5.6 or faster. If an f/2.8 or faster lens is used, the centre AF point detects focus with 3x greater precision than with slower lenses, thanks to an AF sensor design and layout pioneered in the 20D.
I read this on rob Galbraith's site...

Unlike the 20D, however, the 5D's autofocus system includes 6 additional AF sensors. Called Assist AF points, they are arranged in two lines of 3 just above and just below the centre AF point and are invisible to the photographer (in fact, they can't be manually chosen). With C.Fn-17-1 set, the centre AF point active and AI Servo dialed in, these 6 additional points clustered within the spot metering circle work in conjunction with the centre AF point to improve subject tracking performance, much like a similar option in 1-series cameras does for certain sports with lots of erratic movement.

Also, says a Canon technical document, the Assist AF points (two of which are cross-type with f/2.8 or faster lenses) "enable a smoother transition from the center AF point to adjacent AF points" when the camera is configured to automatically select an AF point. Canon software will show which AF point - including Assist AF points - was active at the time the picture was taken when viewing original 5D photos.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:01 PM
TE Expert

Thanks, Luko. you know this is a very subjective, empirical "compte rendu sur le vif". But you might be interested in knowin that I spent the whole time with this seasoned JP pro who uses an EOS 1D for theater and ballet work and was lookin for a backup body. He didn't like the feel of the AF and shutter reaction (or lack of) either... He decribed the viewfinder (I'm translatin here!)...as "strained and stressing" and "unattractive", boy oh boy! And I honestly preferred the restricted view of the 20D as far as coloring goes. All I'm saying is "Hey, we can relax, give our 20D a good cleanin, and a little kiss on the cheek, and TAKE MORE DECENT PICTURES (but not like that embarrassing BB one I just deleted...LOL! what a relief...)"
Concerning AF on the 5D, everything Claude mentions is correct and I'm sure it will pay off in the field, I just didn't have the opportunity to experience it, that's all.
Cheers, F
Old 09-26-2005, 10:43 PM
TE Expert

Interesting discussion. I thought I'd pass along a review article I just encountered at Fred Miranda that may be useful to folks considering the 5D. The author compared the 5D and new 24-105 f/4L with the 20D and the 17-85 lens. He was very impressed with the 5D.

Virtual Traveler Canon 5D Review
Old 09-27-2005, 02:49 AM

Thanks for the informative notes. I suspect I'll probably jump for a 5D anyway when finances permit, I really want full frame for landscapes, and it'll be replacing my 10D which isn't exactly lightning quick anyway ;)

Any idea whether it was a production version camera?

I also wonder whether a new firmware revision will address a number of those issues though... I know my 10D seemed to show some speed improvements between v1.n and v2.n firmware, and some P&S digital cameras I've owned in the past have become significantly better after firmware updates - my Kodak DC210 was really significant, the shutter lag halved when I upgraded the firmware on that!

Time will tell...