Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-18-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Biggest print size for 3.2 Mpixel

I guess the title says all. Does anyone knows what is the biggest print size without quality loss (regarding a film camera) for a 3.2 megapixel camera?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2004, 12:55 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Biggest print size for 3.2 Mpixel

Hi Jose. I am not expert, but the general rule of thumb is that you would like to have a minimum of 200 dots per inch when you print, and preferably, you would like to have 300 dpi. This would translate roughly to a maximum of roughly 8x10, although I would think that would be stretching it a little. I would think that at 6x8, you could easily get prints which will rival film however. With upsampling, either in Photoshop or using a program such as genuine fractals, you likely could push that more, although if there are a lot of details in the shot, some of the details will be lost, IMO. Of course, this is assuming an uncropped image.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:42 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Biggest print size for 3.2 Mpixel

Hi Jose.

Maybe the graph on this webpage can help you:
http://www.colormailer.com/faqfaq.cpl?lng=en&cntry=en#20

Their graph is a bit "conservative" to my eyes, because I have already printed in 30x45 cm format with my 3.2 Mpx digital camera with an excellent result. By the way, I'm very happy with the quality of all prints from this company.

pe