Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-10-14 6:27

Hello Chris,
It's a fine view but it's unusual to see a photo of Akdamar that doesn't include the church. I have vague memories of exploring a fairly large part of the island in 1974. I like how the green tones of trees and grass seem to spill into the lake. When I wrote a very carefully worded note about Turkish-Armenian relations during WW1 I received several angry comments and three Turkish members (as far as I remember) struck me from their lists of favourites. ;-) It will for ever remain a sensitive question, as we have also seen in recent days.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 10-14-2020, 04:36 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Armenia

Hi Gert

I found out the hard way that even mentioning the word 'genocide' is a criminal offense in Turkey to this day. Even though it is recognised by dozens of countries including Sweden, Canada, USA, Germany, France, Italy, Greece, Poland, & Russia, eg.

There is only partial recognition in Australia & the UK, where certain political parties, provinces or municipalities have recognized the events as genocide, independently from the government as a whole. I wasn't imprisoned, fined or deported, but got the cold shoulder treatment instead.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:20 AM
TE Newbie

Significant help came from Russia in '93 with about $1B in weapons aid, with which Armenia seized the offensive and began seizing large quantities of weapons from captured Azeris. Armenia also only had about 3 aircraft for the duration of the war, and ended up shooting down a lot of the Azeri's aging stockpile, or they had malfunctions and were claimed as being shot down.

snaptube vidmate word to pdf

Last edited by FDGc98af123; 10-19-2020 at 02:44 PM.