Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-19-2004, 01:02 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Adam -- Rating Notes in Other Languages

Hi Adam -- I don't know if someone has raised this before or not, but is there a reason why we can't rate notes that are in the "other language" note box. For example, when I click on the French link and read a note in French, I can't rate it as useful or not.

Actually, I don't really understand why some notes in languages other than English are in the "regular" note box and others are not. Personally, I think it's a little confusing b/c I've seen lots of critiques that ask for a note when the note is already in the "other language" box. Is there a reason for the distinction? Why not just have one note box and let people choose the language(s) that they write in?

Thanks,
Mimi
Old 03-19-2004, 04:46 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Adam -- Rating Notes in Other Languages

On top right corner there is a pull down menu to change the language of the page. If you set the page language to eg: french the note in french will be in the regular box and the english note will be then in the pop up box. You can check that on any of my picture as I always write my note in both English and French.

I've also raise the fact the name of the users that have rate the note while the language set to eg: english does note appear in the foreign language box.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:43 AM
TE Expert

Yes, I need to think over this a bit more. In addition, I need to balance having more info available with the increased server resources that would incur. I'll update this discussion later after some research. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:06 PM
TE Senior Member

> Actually, I don't really understand why some notes in languages other than English are in the "regular" note box and others are not.

I believe this is because some people are "illegally" entering foreign languages into the regular (English) note box.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:37 PM
TE Junior Member

OK. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:04 AM
TE Newbie

Was going to start a thread, but decided to tack this on to an old one, and I wouldn't be surprised it has been raised other times, too.

Seems odd that we can't rate a note in another language as "useful". Or am I missing something, as usual?

Personally, I vote for forgetting the language thing altogether and letting anyone write their notes in any language or combination of languages on the main page instead of in the popup window.

Just as I was about to mark a note as useful and couldn't, someone else complained about the lack of a note at all because it was in the popup.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:48 PM
TE Expert

>Seems odd that we can't rate a note in another language as "useful".
>Or am I missing something, as usual?

I finally understand how that could happen : it happens when someone only fill the "other language" box when submitting his picture, and not the "english language" box. Maybe it's actually because these boxes are not properly labelled : if they were labelled "main language" and "alternate language", maybe it would be clearer. "Main language" should be English whenever possible, but could be something else as well if the author doesn't speak English.

I often visit French photographer's pages and urge them, even if they cannot write in English, to duplicate their note in French in the "English" box so that everybody can see it. I think that people who browse the site in other language than English don't realise that the note is empty if the "English" box hasn't been filled.
Maybe it could be possible, if the "English" box is left empty, to fill it automatically with the content of the foreign language box?

> I vote for forgetting the language thing altogether and letting anyone >write their notes in any language or combination of languages

Well, I don't know about that. I write long notes (probably too long! :^) both in French and English and if I has to combine them on the same page, they would be really really too long. OK, I could learn to talk less, but it's hard to go against your nature! :^)
I like the language features on TE, it's part of what makes it special I think.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:48 PM
TE Expert

Default Sophie who talks alot...

Talk as much as you like Sophie! I always enjoy what you have to say... ;-)