The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - Bac Ha Market in Vietnam is Dead
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Bac Ha Market in Vietnam is Dead

Well... I suppose Bac Ha joins the cemetary of already dead vietnamese tourist traps like Ha Long Bay, Hue, Sa Pa, Tam Coc, Da Lat, Can Tho and many others...

Last time I went, it was last year, the place was invaded with tourist buses coming from Sa Pa, fortunately Can Cau or some more remote but smaller places remained untouched... just a matter of time they build some corny building around.

Unlike Thais, Vietnamese tourist organizations have a certain "gift" on screwing up their most interesting places to the ugliest, cheapest mass tourism. In 10 years time VN will be the Costa Brava of tourism in SEA (which was already the case for Sapa and Halong Bay).

I guess the concept of "sustainable development" has not reached VN yet : they want money NOW and don't give a f*ck about later. For those who know the country since it has opened to the tourists, it's the story of the VN tourism industry since the beginning and that's why it has often been such a frustrating experience. A pity : 12 years ago it was probably the most interesting country of SEA.