The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - Photography & reality
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 12:30 PM
TE Expert

Default Clarification...

I was observing that describing is stepping away from the creative moment when photographer and camera meet the world. Description is in fact a "cookie for the mind." Science is replete with descriptions that occasionally are formulated into hypotheses that are mistakenly viewed as facts until the next set of hypotheses come down the pike. You're familiar no doubt with Thomas Kuhn's book on the subject of paradigm shifts. Nothing in this exercise actually represents reality. As my quote which has received no attention states, "the mind creates the abyss the heart crosses."

I'm a student of western intellectual history and have studied both science and the humanities over the years. I understand that great energy is applied to the search for knowledge about things large and small. Newtonian physics works really well when we look at large objects, but once we begin looking more closely as quantum physicists have, the consensual world begins to do strange things. The topic of this thread is photography and reality. My responses in this thread have been directed at the question raised by Gal. My contention is that descriptive tools that explain the possible motivations for the photographer doing what the photographer does, will never answer questions about reality and its relationship with the creative act of taking a photo. Is it fun to have conversations about such things? I say yes, in the same way idly playing a Gameboy can be fun when there is nothing better to do. But such conversations will never arrive at "truth."

Perhaps I shouldn't interject such "profound" observations to this thread, but I couldn't resist. I respect everyone who is posting here, most of whom, including you, have a much richer and accomplished history with the camera. I'm a neophyte, finding my way. Yet I have decades of history that have illumined some of the pitfalls of this human adventure we all share. One of the biggest is to believe our minds will answer any question of consequence. Yes, it will help create ever more astounding widgets, but I don't believe photography as art will ever settle for that... ;-)