View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM
TE Expert

Default Easter in Breclav

Hi Keith

I had an image removed a few hours ago and have not received any email advice nor is there any spam or junk mail it might have slipped through.

I sent Vivian an email requesting reinstatement of the image as it discusses the custom of men and boys whipping women and girls last Easter Monday and receiving gifts from them. I had never heard of this practice before so it is certainly NOT common. How is this not learning about our world? Most of the accompanying note was in my own words, not a cut and paste from Wikipedia like this:

"In the Czech Republic and Slovakia, a tradition of spanking or whipping is carried out on Easter Monday. In the morning, men spank women with a special handmade whip called a pomlázka (in Czech) or korbáč (in Slovak), in eastern regions of former Czechoslovakia Moravia and Slovakia they also throw cold water on them. The pomlázka/korbáč consists of eight, twelve or even twenty-four withies (willow rods), is usually from half a meter to two meters long and decorated with coloured ribbons at the end. The spanking may be painful, but it's not intended to cause suffering. A legend says that women should be spanked with a whip in order to keep their health, beauty and fertility during the whole next year.

An additional purpose can be for men to exhibit their attraction to women; unvisited women can even feel offended. Traditionally, the spanked woman gives a coloured egg (kraslica) prepared by themselves, invites to eat and drink as a sign of her thanks to the man. If the visitor is a small boy, he is usually provided with sweets, and a small amount of money."

Last edited by ChrisJ; 04-19-2015 at 03:17 PM.