The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Paid membership? (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797172)

xuaxo 12-23-2009 10:00 PM

Paid membership?

From the "Pop-up Ads" thread:

"In the near future we will be offering paid membership which will allow for an ad free experience and the ability to post multiple pictures a day." (by IBsteph)

I'd like to know more details.
I wouldn't feel welcome in a community with two classes of members (paid and not paid). If Internet Brands do that, I can't pay. I don't know now, but perhaps I'll leave or I'll be much less active, even as a 'free', second class member.

bmukherjee 12-23-2009 10:12 PM

Re: Paid membership?

I second that: I certainly wouldn't want two classes in TE. I don't mind adverts, as long as they're decent and unobtrusive. However, I don't want TE to become a lesser equivalent of Flickr - with paid membership! Web 2.0 is, and should always be, free...

biswaroop

PixelTerror 12-24-2009 07:09 AM

That's an unpleasant Christmas gift for sure...

On Facebook where similar thoughts are on the way there is a (very popular) group called "We will not pay to use facebook, if this happens we are gone", something IB should keep in mind, especially considering that now there is a credible alternative.

Didi 12-24-2009 07:13 AM

By using Firefox with Pub Block no need to pay

belido 12-24-2009 11:56 AM

more than one post per day?

That will destroy the fundamental idea that makes this site to survive. We don't want another flickr or whatever.

a sad Christmas season news...

Buin 12-24-2009 12:26 PM

Another bad and counterproductive idea concerning TrekEarth. The events concerning TE in the last year for me look like a slow suicide of this site. What will happen next ...?!
I do not like the standard of Flickr and other sites like this at all ... the future of TE?
Really a wonderful Christmas surprise!

Keitht 12-24-2009 12:45 PM

I use a number of non-photography related sites which have a paid membership option. The big difference between them and what appears to be the intention here, is that the membership fee provides access to additional content e.g. reviews.
What I have always liked about TE is the limit on images posted. That encourages members to think more carefully about what they do post rather than slinging all kinds of dross on the site. As others have already suggested, I also think it a fundamentally bad idea for this site, maybe they'll rethink if the proposal is more widely debated.

Romatou 12-24-2009 02:45 PM

" we will be offering paid membership which will allow for an ad free experience " damned , i gone just when it was going to be funny !!!! ..... just paying for free ! ....

je sens que je vais louper une grosse marrade !

IBsteph 12-24-2009 04:08 PM

Nothing is set in stone. It's a possibility that we are thinking of doing that's all.
You will all be updated and informed if we do move forward with it . Again,this is something we are considering for DOWN THE ROAD..

Thanks and happy holidays!

pablominto 12-24-2009 05:26 PM

Paid membership..?

Aaaah seems I got it all wrong – imagine, I got the impression IB would pay us for providing the images they make money on…

maloutim 12-24-2009 09:33 PM

To IBsteph
If you do that, you'll lose all the spirit of TE. One photo a day is already too many, to have real discussion on it!
I don't think you'll get one single member to agree with that terrible idea!
And you'll lose a lot of valuable members and photos!
Think carefully and drop that idea!
Marie Louise.

axiotea 12-25-2009 06:24 AM

Hi everyone
BAD NEWS!!
I don't agree with that payment system and if it happens, I think I'll be also off TE :((
Marilyn

rigoletto 12-25-2009 08:32 AM

i wonder how many members would continue to stay on this site after a paid system. we had already enough TE catastrophes which abolished many veterans, this "ingenious" idea would put an end to the remaining.

or, why don't they just unplug the site and practice euthanasia? it would be much less painful.

sorry, but, i don't understand the idea behind this "self immolation" approach of the owners.

macondo 12-25-2009 12:01 PM

I agree 100% with the comments above; the one-photo per day restriction is one of the essential characteristics of TE - drop that feature or make it optional and you will end up with a mass photo repository like the ugly Flickr.

As it is now, each photo and its note reflects the meditations and careful considerations of the photographer and may tell a story, not only of the picture's subject, but of the photographer's reason for showing it. That is the very beauty of TE. I can't see how this unique aspect of TE could be continued by members who pay to upload several pictures per day (perhaps the number will vary according to the fee charged). It would surely lessen the 'social' aspect of TE.

Payment implies a service, which in turn suggests online storage/display. Many TE members already maintain large collections of photos at other sites devoted to that purpose, or have their own websites and blogs. I'm sure they do not regard TE in this way.

The proposal also would introduce two classes of membership, as Francisco correctly stated in the beginning of this thread. Perhaps the proposal stems from the concern of the owners about the lower number of uploads since the site changes drove many members away. I think they will drive more away with this one despite what appears to be their belief that we are all clamouring for it. It shows how little understanding they have of their own site and its members.

Docarmo 12-25-2009 05:33 PM

I think we contribute already enough with our pictures, our notes and our critiques. I agree that it will be the suicide of TE, if members should pay.
It would be bad not only for members... for the administration too - the trouble you will have will not be compensated by the money you will receive. Imagine the amount of rights the members will claim, because they pay.

Francisco,
This is the best <a href='/themes.php?thid=11578' target=_blank>"xuaxade"</a> ever posted here... :-/
Thanks for mentioning it, I was not aware of this "bad idea".

------------

Je pense que nous contribuons déjà assez avec nos photos, nos notes et nos critiques. Je suis d'accord que ce sera le suicide de TE, si les membres doivent payer.
Il serait mauvais, non seulement pour les membres ... pour l'administration aussi - le trouble que vous aurez ne sera pas compensé par l'argent que vous recevrez. Imaginez le nombre de droits que les membres réclameront parce qu'ils paient.

Francisco,
C'est la meilleure <a href='/themes.php?thid=11578' target=_blank>"xuaxade"</a> jamais postée ici ... :-/
Merci de la mentionner, je n'étais pas au courant de cette "méchante idée".

----------

Acho que já contribuimos bastante com as nossas fotos, nossas notas e nossas críticas. Concordo que será o suicídio do TE, se os membros tiverem que pagar.
Seria ruim não apenas para os membros... para a administração também - os problemas que terão não serão compensados pelo dinheiro que receberão. Imaginem a quantidade de direitos que os membros vão reclamar, porque pagam.

Francisco,
Esta foi a melhor <a href='/themes.php?thid=11578' target=_blank>"xuaxada"</a> já publicada aqui ... : - /
Obrigada por ter mencionado isso, eu não estava sabendo dessa "idéia ruim".

Docarmo

Didi 12-25-2009 05:37 PM

I post only one picture every week and for the rest of my time I write my critics.
Not enough time for posting more pictures, I have my job, my private life.
I am not interesting to loose money for paying a first class membership.
I prefer to use the beta version for consulting and writing my critics.

If the beta version disappears, in this case I'll use firefox with the advertising autoblock

Pentti 12-25-2009 09:39 PM

Next will be that when you pay more you get more publicity to your images (in the home page etc.) or you can send bigger files, 500kb or so...

Using Firefox with Addblock (ABP) works fine (haven't seen a single add in these pages ever).

More than one image per day will destroy TE.

BennyV 12-27-2009 04:44 PM

paying for less ads = just a bad idea

more than 1 post per day = the end of TE

...if you ask me.

Benny

xuaxo 12-27-2009 09:10 PM

I'm learning that:
"Using Firefox with Addblock (ABP) works fine (haven't seen a single add in these pages ever)."

So, no need to pay membership in order to block adds :-/

I agree what other members say about one post per day. Indeed, it could be even less, so that members choose more carefully the pictures before uploading. That feature is very very important to keep TE as it is, different from other sites. If we wish to upload lots of pictures per day, there are many other sites, paid or not.

I hope that Internet Brands may keep our ideas and advices in mind, avoiding the end of TE.

Prisley 12-28-2009 03:25 PM

Why change something that works so fine?!
I 100% agree with my TE fellows. The beauty of this site relies on the cautious self-selection of pics to be posted, which is tightly linked to the 1 pic per day limitation. It prevents the community from being spoiled with photos that don't correspond to TE TOS.

TE spirit is to share through comments & critiques on photographs.
The "privilege" to post more than 1 pic a day simply changes the mission of TE into being a catalogue of pics...I am pretty sure it will result in a "no note, no comment, no experience sharing website"....just not a community anymore...

Anyway, happy ending 2009 and best wishes for 2010 to all TE members ;)
Pris.

rajhema 12-28-2009 10:44 PM

Nope. I don't like paid membership! what do we achieve here ?

CMJC 12-29-2009 09:04 AM

I think paying is not a good idea...
we all know that free internet site must have publicity to have money... and that everybody... or everysite want money (and more and more...)
the problem is just: please not too much publicity and also please just pleasant one ☺

fkostas 12-29-2009 02:46 PM

DOWN THE ROAD I am sure you won't have enough members to worry about it. If people don't post photos, you have no site. It's just another example of a corporation cannablaizing the component that allows it's existance for obscene profits.

So, TE will rake in huge dollars on the obnoxious ads that the poor will be forced to view, and then rake in more dollars from the suckers who pay to not be assaulted with crap.

Will you still delete threads in the forums if PAYING members start/contribute to them?

pasternak 12-29-2009 06:12 PM

Will you still delete threads in the forums if PAYING members start/contribute to them?

Great idea, can I start paying right now so that my threads won't be deleted?...

Indeed, who said freedom of speech comes for free?... :)

Loic_bzh 12-30-2009 10:16 AM

I'm afraid it's now official:

IB killed Trek Earth.

RIP. We'll miss you.

Didi 12-30-2009 09:12 PM

In this special case of multiposting it will be better to divide for each member the total of his points by the number of his pictures.
But I'm not hooked by this new project; is just my opinion.

Keitht 12-30-2009 09:34 PM

Totally disagree on this one Didi. If the right to post multiple images is based on the average number of points per image it only encourages the worst excesses of the cliques of the past who gave points to certain other members irrespective of the merits of the photo posted.
I am totally opposed to any increase in the number of images posted per day.

Didi 12-31-2009 02:00 AM

:)) I mean not per day
I give you an example
You have a total of 50260 points and 716 pictures ;
The result 50260/716= 70,19 points average.
If in the future we are allowed to post more than one pictures I do not think that we will get more critics.
I don't think that one member will have to spent more time face to his computer writing critics and giving point. If I do that, my wife will ask me for divorce :)
I will not change my habits in the future, it will always be one image per week depending on my availability.
I prefer to keep better contact with member sharing our knowledge about pictures than points.
I wish you a happy new year.
Didi

maloutim 12-31-2009 07:57 AM

To Prisley 28-12-09.
I completely agree with you! Anyway, the members who want to, can post up to 9 photos a day, if they use TE, TL, TN and the WS a day! And God knows how they do that!
I do hope tht IB will come to their senses with the coming of the New Year!

Silvio1953 12-31-2009 03:10 PM

No sense propost, just for a suicide of this site, I'll go away immediatly
Silvio

Keitht 12-31-2009 03:30 PM

Before any of us go screaming away from the site, wouldn't it make sense to wait and hear precisely what is actually being proposed? I don't currently pay for membership of any site* and find it difficult to imagine what might be offered here to make me pay. The site as it stands provides me with everything I want without cost. If functionality was removed unless payment was made I certainly think that could sound the death knell for the site.

* I should qualify that statement. One site I use does have an additional charge for access to certain features, but not for the core elements of the site. As I help with administration on that site I do not have to pay for access to those features.

maloutim 12-31-2009 04:03 PM

To Keitht 31-12-09. LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

I think perhaps it's better for the administrators to know how all the members feel about that possibility (So far, EVERYBODY has manifested their strong disagreement!), before they present us with "the fait accompli". I think there is a danger of that, if you read carefully what the admin. Ibsteph wrote on 24-12-09.

maloutim 12-31-2009 04:03 PM

To Keitht 31-12-09. LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

I think perhaps it's better for the administrators to know how all the members feel about that possibility (So far, EVERYBODY has manifested their strong disagreement!), before they present us with "the fait accompli". I think there is a danger of that, if you read carefully what the admin. Ibsteph wrote on 24-12-09.

Keitht 12-31-2009 04:32 PM

Re: To Keitht 31-12-09. LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

I agree absolutely that we need to let the administrators know how we feel. What concerns me is people saying they are leaving now, before it is actually clear just what IB plan to introduce.
From what I have read so far there are plans afoot, and very negative and vociferous reactions to those plans. Hopefully IB will note the reactions and act accordingly. I'm just suggesting that none of us act precipitously until final and definitive plans are announced. We've already seen a number of members deleting their images on the basis of what they think might happen and I don't think that kind of action is beneficial to anyone here.

xuaxo 12-31-2009 07:10 PM

Re: LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

I agree with Keith that nobody should act on the basis of what they think might happen. Let's express our discontent for proposals that we don't like, but let's go on as usual, until eventually something really happens. Maybe after our expression of discontent IB won't do anything bad.

AROBN54 12-31-2009 08:00 PM

Re: LET'S ALL EXPRESS OUR DISCONTENT

Oh boy...

It's bad enough I have completely lost all interest IN photography for some reason and then my favorite of three Trek sites is proposing THIS??? Maybe all these nonsensical changes were what killed my desire to even make photos. But if I ever get over this slump I would like to come back to TE as its been - a community. If they start that, I can't say I will ever come back.

Happy New Year!! my Trekearth friends... May the coming year be your best yet!!

Shelly

JudyR 12-31-2009 10:21 PM

paid memberships et al

I can understand the desire to make money, and perhaps the sales staff can accomplish that without destroying the purpose and intent of this site. I don't mind the still ads on top and on the sides, and if they accomplish what the sales staff wants, great (I sure hope they do). Stopping the odious expanding ads is essential to everyone's sanity.

I really don't think allowing more than one photo a day is any kind of incentive, nor would it improve this site. I sure hope they let that idea go. I've had to take extra care with my submissions because I know if I screw it up, I've lost my chance. I believe, with only one upload/day allowed, that there is a much larger participation, worldwide. So terrific! Please keep it to one photo/day.

Thanks. Happy New Year to everyone. May peace be with us in the new year. Judy

Aviller 01-01-2010 10:47 AM

The place is already swamped enough with pictures as it is (which I love btw)...but if we offer paid membership and the ability to post say 10 pics a day, most "2nd class member" pics will be on the front page for a couple of minutes and hardly anyone will bother to check them out. As the great Charles Oakley once said: "If it ain't broke, don't break it."

Didi 01-01-2010 10:54 AM

Not enough time for me to waste for posting more than one picture per day.
For me one picture every week that's enough.

leo61 01-01-2010 11:35 AM

posting last about 30 seconds and writing a note 1-5 minutes.....
Leo