The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Travel (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Your favourite place in your country? (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173959)

xln 12-31-2005 08:35 AM

Your favourite place in your country?

Every country is famous for something, but what do you like best about yours? It doesn't matter if you were born there, or live there now, I'm sure there's some things you totally love. Can you point us to a special place, event or tradition that is off the tourist routes? Somewhere great photos are born?

xln 12-31-2005 09:10 AM

Re: Your favourite place in your country?

My favourite places:

in Singapore -
1. The FOOD. ANY Singaporean will direct you to their favourite place or favourite stall. Just ask. Go to the out of the way hawker centers: avoid tourist traps like Newton. Hop into a taxi and ask "uncle" to take you to his favourite place for supper, or breakfast, or lunch. Enjoy! You will not get sick, but you might get a chilli overdose!
2. The <a href="http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/">Night Safari</a>. I have taken countless friends & visitors there, and every single time something different happens: from the mama & baby Tapir following our (slow-moving) tram, to watching a (very big and intimidating) tiger clean itself right in front of the glass enclosure; I have always had a great time.
3. <a href="http://www.expatsingapore.com/travel/ubin.htm">Pulau Ubin</a>. This is where to go to get off the beaten track and see a totally different side of Singapore.

in Mexico
1. <a href="http://mexicoboutiquehotels.com/MiamiHeraldSep04.html">Isla Holbox</a> is so off the beaten track even Mexicans don't know about it. I was so relaxed and happy there I ended up taking about 10 photos. All I did was swim, lie in a hammock reading or sleeping and eat lots of seafood.
2. el Bazar Sabado. No trip to Mexico City is complete without a trip here. Really. Even if you don't buy anything, it has some of the most well-crafted pottery, silver, etc. in Mexico, and the prices are very competitive. Trust me. We buy almost all our souvenirs here. Where? Plaza San Jacinto, San Angel. When? Saturdays only.
3. <a href="http://www.tourbymexico.com/morelos/cvca/restau/gaia/gaia.htm">Gaia restuarant</a> is where I had one of the best meals in my life. The service is impeccable, the food excellent, the location charming, and all at a very reasonable price. Located in Cuernavaca, about 1.5 hours from Mexico by bus.

Of course, some of the best ways to find out about special places is to ask the locals. =) So all you locals, what are you waiting for?

rawlings1313 01-10-2006 11:47 PM

I am from Georgia, USA, but my favorite place anywhere in the world is Olomouc, Czech Republic. I studied there for a year and is the most gripping and beautiful place anywhere.

Roly 01-10-2006 11:57 PM

It's a no brainer for me, definitely the Rocky Mountains. Their photographic potential is reflected in the TE images from Alberta and British Columbia.

smash2707 01-12-2006 10:05 PM

I'm from Venezuela and there are a lot of really beautiful places here if you like nature (there are a lot of national parks). My favorite places would the be Los Roques, an archipel formed by around 300 islands and islets with amazing white sands and clear waters (see my page for a picture), and the Gran Sabana, the oldest place of the world from a geological point of view, which is full of waterfalls, jungle, and teh amazing table mountains called tepuyes. I will post some pictures in the future.

guaya 01-13-2006 01:43 AM

Without a question my favourite place, where I would like to spend part of my life is Colombia, I lived In Medellin a beatiful country in the middle of Colombia, Our State, Antioquia is full of natural parks and not only here also in 80% of my country you can have the opportunity to visit great scultures and cultural places.

COLOMBIA LO MEJOR

Wahclellaspirit 01-13-2006 08:19 AM

Hi Lynn,
My favorite place in Oregon would have to be the Painted Hills Unit of the John Day Fossil Beds in Central Oregon. This unit is close to Bend, Oregon that is nestled in the volcanic country of Central Oregon, and it is also four hours drive from Portland. If you are going to visit here you will see many high peaks such as Mt. Jefferson-11,000'--Three Sisters-10,000'-- Mt. Hood-11,000'-- Newberry Volcano,Extinct Volcano Crater--you can also walk the obsidian trail at Newberry, and camp at East Lake Resort Cabins. A beautiful lake with hot springs and great fishing.
I have many photos of the Painted Hills on my site under Wahclellaspirit, or Steve Warnstaff.
Hope this helps,
Steve Warnstaff

tritonia 01-30-2006 06:40 PM

favourite in greece

in greece although is too turistic,have still left(fortunatelly)places untouched from the massive tourism espesially in the continent(as the tourists prefer islands).
one national parc on the north west of greece that i find amazing,is "valia calda" with lots of forest,mountains,river and lakes.
if its for bird watching the best place is "prespes"(on the north again),a big lake that attracts immigrating birds.
south crete has many beautiful beaches.
in ganeral for islands is better to avoid august,cause is bloody packed.best months june and september.
and whoever visits greece is good to remember to respect the nature:))

fallan 02-01-2006 06:49 AM

Monterrey CA is nice. I also enjoy visiting the area around San Francisco. I live in the desert and getting near the ocean is a nice break.

someguy 03-15-2006 04:05 PM

Moab, Utah. Actually just southern Utah, the desert gives some truly stunning images. It helps that I'm an avid mountain biker and Moab is well known for it. I'm very thankful that it's only a 5 hour drive from Denver...

arnie700 03-16-2006 10:01 PM

My favorite place in the US is San Francisco. The weather is ideal, there is a tremendous amount of culture, the people are friendly, and the atmosphere is wonderful. One of the world's most recognized landmarks, the Golden Gate Bridge, is there as the symbol of the city.

lestans 03-17-2006 02:00 AM

About Italy, and about the area where I was born and where I live, I do love Duino, Duino Castle and its sourroundings: it is so high over the sea, and it is possible to see very far away, and the coast is so nice.
This place is famous because here Rilke wrote his most famous poems.

Far from my home town , in Tuscany, I love near Capalbio "Il giardino dei tarocchi", a magnificent work of art by Niki de Saint Phalle.

vichka_sun 05-15-2006 04:25 PM

Russia

My favorite place is:
city: St. Petersburg, Suzdal
places: Keno-lake, Lekshma-lake
and... I can to list without end.

jb06 05-16-2006 09:07 PM

I live in the USA, and I'd say my favorite place to take photos is New York City. Theres so much to take photos of.

I've also been to Italy, and Capri is my favorite place in Italy. Capri is deffinitely my favorite place to take photos outside of the US.

tsvetanar 06-03-2006 12:02 AM

My favourite place in Bulgaria

Hello, Lynn Ng

It's Tsvetana from Bulgaria.
My favourite place I've been to in Bulgaria is the small town of Melnik. It's situated in the south-western part of the country, a few kilometres away from the borders with Greece and Macedonia FYRO. It's the smallest town in Bulgaria - an exception - almost 300 citizens! It's famous for a few things: it's an old town - most of the houses are more than 300 years old, there are also famous wine-cellars with high quality wine. And, at last, but not least - it's most famous for the rock pyramids surrounding the area. They are low height hills (around 100 metres) with various shapes and sandy tops, covered with bushes and trees.
The best shots are made in the town itself with the pyramids in the background: it's a unique scenery of old houses of different height and the sandy rock pyramids with greenish tops high above the town in the background.
What I liked at this place was the great hospitality and friendliness of the local people, they treat you as an old friend from far away visiting the town!
Concerning photos - if you get the opportunity to visit this place, I guess your host at the house you'd be staying at will let you take photos in the inner yard - these backyards are very picturesque and one can see pretty amazing things there :)

Next time I go there I will take the camera for sure and share the photos in TE! :)

rushfan2112 06-06-2006 10:55 AM

Hi there,

My country is England - not a particularly big place compared to the likes of Russia, China and America.

I've visited most areas of England and can say, honestly, that the Lake District (specifically the area between Keswick and Buttermere) is my favourite.

It has the highest rainfall of anywhere in England but when it's dry (or snowing), it is the most beautiful place to walk around and to photograph.

I haven't been for a few years now, but will be going up there in late summer this year. I hope to capture some of its beauty to share on TE/TL/TN.

Paul.

cad3 06-08-2006 02:59 AM

The International terminal at any airport in my country. :) Because then I'm going to some place very different which inherently makes it very fun and interesting.

paulw 06-08-2006 02:17 PM

My favourite place in Ireland would have to be Dun Laoghaire/Sandycove. It's by the sea. Lovely for walks in the summer, and great for stormy photography in the winter. It's also a very scenic area, full of history.

iopapad 06-16-2006 08:22 PM

Re: Your favourite place in your country (Greece)?

Hello everybody!

For my everyday life i choose the capital of Greece, Athens. It may have some problems (as every big city does) but it has a lot to offer (job opportunities, night and day life, sightseiing, nice beaches, all through the year).
The most beautiful place in Greece for me it's Santorini island (do i need to explain why?) and the best season to be there it's spring. A lot of flowers, few tourists and moderate temperatures.
But if I want to enjoy the sea and the most beautiful beaches, Milos island, Leykada island and Xalikidiki is my choice. There are amazing beaches throughout Greece but in these 3 places you can found a lot of them in a small distance.
For the winter (and for skiing) i choose Macedonia (Naousa,Veria and the surroundings), Phlio and Parnassos. In Macedonia you can find grate skiing resorts and divine forests. In Phlio you can find a small skiing center and a lot of picturesques villages around it. Parnassos finally has one of the best skiing centers in Greece and there you can combine winter sports, sightseeing (Delfi is very close), night life in Araxwva and sea in Galaxidi (a beautiful village by the sea).

jassy 06-16-2006 11:01 PM

My favorite place in the U.S. is San Francisco, and I count myself very lucky indeed to be living in the Bay Area.

My favorite place in the world is anywhere near a body of water (river, lake, or - especially - the ocean).

annagrace 06-21-2006 11:19 PM

Funny you should mention Niki de Saint Phalle, we have a huge exhibit of her work here in Atlanta at the Botanical Garden...it's quite fantastic!

We'll be in Italy in two weeks, Venice July 5-7, Lake Como area July 7-9, the Cinque Terre July 9-11. Are you in any of those areas?

Alli

simonekarl 06-23-2006 05:19 PM

I was born in London of Italian orgin. I lived in Rome for many years.

In Italy I love any restaurant with outdoor seating and a good view, where you can sit in the sun with a nice plate of Spaghetti and clams and bottle of dry white wine. From here you can enjoy the panorama or watch the world go by. Superb!

In England, I have say that Cornwall is very beautiful, it has it all, the Ocean, sandy beaches picturesqe towns and the great British countryside, if your lucky it can be sunny too. : )

csbriones 06-29-2006 05:32 AM

I'm from the Philippines and I love all the beaches in our country-- Boracay, Batangas, Panglao, Mactan... there are a lot of beautiful places here, who would've thought a country this small would have so many wonderful places to take photographs of?

tigra 08-16-2006 01:01 AM

One of my favorites - Seliger lake.
You can see its beauty here:
<a href="http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Russia/photo438392.htm" target=_blank>http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Russia/photo438392.htm</a> (you can find some info about the lake in the note)
<a href="http://www.treklens.com/gallery/Asia/Russia/photo169308.htm" target=_blank>http://www.treklens.com/gallery/Asia/Russia/photo169308.htm</a>
I hope to post some more pictures of the lake and of the monastery on one of the islands later.

Katia

tigra 08-16-2006 01:06 AM

Re: Russia

Our country is too big to choose few places:)))

Actually, I found Taymyr the most impressive, but unfortunately don't have any pictures from there. Old ones don't show all the colorful beauty of nature.

Katia

Tramplamp 09-14-2006 12:36 PM

Sin English

I have heard like people in Singapore speak like "OK lah", is that correct?
They add "lah" at the end of a speech and it makes it little funny. like...
"U lidat think meeh?" means "Do you think like that"...
I have my friend who's traveling there now, but havent contacted with him for a while.
oh I've actually made a pretty similar thread like yours, will you write more about your travel tips?
You can find my thread in "Let's have pride in our country":
http://oohjapan.com/forum/index.htm
My username there is michell.
looking forward to have your comments on my topic there!

Tramplamp 09-14-2006 12:43 PM

hello, Yvonne

you are from Venezuela, just great!
I've made a thread in other forum to discuss about travel stories, and i want you to join my thread:
http://oohjapan.com/forum/index.htm
You can find me as michell in "Lets have pride in our country" there.

looking forward to hear your pride there!!

Emiel_Skyfreak 09-16-2006 01:13 AM

Re: Your favourite place in your country (Netherlands)?

Amsterdam, the capital, where I live in.
For a region I choose the south of Limburg (Zuid-Limburg here)
It has nice landscapes and offers even 'mountains' (no, not really maybe..) in Holland..
Our country is so flat..so I like to come in the very very south, where we have some nice sloping hills, beautiful nature, and different architecture. Most of the time it's also a bit nicer weather as in the part above the great rivers.
I also like Giethoorn (see I guess North, then Overijssel, else South then Overijssel in Netherlands section) cause it's like a Venice idea in the polder.
A second home city for me is Zwolle, also in Overijssel.

Danishman 11-09-2006 08:39 PM

My top 3 places in my county Denmark.

1. Copenhagen, Time hall Square.
2. Copenhagen, Langelinje (fames for The little Mirmaid).
3. Copenhagen, Islands Brygge.

My favourite nature place in my country must be Moen´s clint.

realimis 11-13-2006 02:24 AM

Well...the place i love most in Greece is Monemvasia.
The poet Yannis Ritsos -who borned there-called Monemvasia "Ship of stone" and he was so right. It looks like a rock on the sea. On this rock is situated the old castletown of Monemvasia! Between stone paths, archs and ruins there are stone houses ,cafes, tavernas and hostels with respect to the physiognomy of the castle-town.
Every path ,stone and door has its secret beauty there and also has a secret love with history!
It's place that you can relax and but it's also a place that can born deeper thoughts. The sure is that this place calls you to delectate it as it diserves!
If you decided to visit Monemvasia do not forget to taste the traditional sweets : "amigdalota" and "samusades".Just great!

Regards
Rene

nika 02-15-2007 06:31 PM

Spain : 1- Valencia , specially its south coast with Altea , Javea , Vilajoiosa ...

2- Granada and Alpujarras villages

3- Euskadi (specially Donosti )

4- Balearic islands (specially Ibiza)

5- Cadiz province (Tarifa , Vejer , Arcos ...)

Out of massive and re known touristic routes i would point out certain charming villages :

-Rubielos de Mora (with Mora de Rubielos and Albarracin in Aragon)

-Everwhere along the East Mediterranean coast

nika 02-15-2007 06:31 PM

Spain : 1- Valencia , specially its south coast with Altea , Javea , Vilajoiosa ...

2- Granada and Alpujarras villages

3- Euskadi (specially Donosti )

4- Balearic islands (specially Ibiza)

5- Cadiz province (Tarifa , Vejer , Arcos ...)

Out of massive and re known touristic routes i would point out certain charming villages :

-Rubielos de Mora (with Mora de Rubielos and Albarracin in Aragon)

-Everwhere along the East Mediterranean coast

pdimova 02-26-2007 03:14 PM

Hey, hi to all. I`m from Bulgaria,small but nice country.There are many nice places, one of it is Varna-the secount biggest town in Bulgaria.As well Veliko Turnovo is very nice city with lots of friendly people.So you are invited to come to see my lovely country!

piedmont_phil 02-26-2007 08:44 PM

Re: Your favourite place in your country? (Italy)

The Alps - but maybe that is too big - so if forced to pick one area it would be the Dolomites, outstanding scenery yet quite accessable.

Phil
www.stayinpiedmont.com

tulipan7 08-25-2007 09:00 AM

I'm from Croatia and though most people come to my country to visit the coast, my favourite places in my country are inland. One is Plitvice Lakes which is a complex of sixteen lakes, separated into an upper and lower cluster formed by runoff from the mountains, descending from an altitude of 636 m to 503 m over a distance of some 8 km. Water in the lakes is absolutely clean and they are renowned for their distinctive colours, ranging from azure to green, grey or blue - the colours change constantly depending on the quantity of minerals or organisms in the water and the angle of sunlight.
Another of my favourite places is castle Trakošćan, located in northern part of the country, near town of Varaždin. It dates back to the 13th century and it has been very well maintained and is probably one of our best preserved historic buildings.
If you prefer sea and sun, I suggest the island of Vis.

dlevy23 08-29-2007 06:17 PM

Hi, I'm from Buenos Aires Argentina, now I live in Omaha, but I highly recommend going to Buenos Aires. There are so many places to visit and take photos but one of my favorites is Caminito in the city of La Boca. The amount of colors in that street are amazing.
Here you can check one of my photos from that place.

<a href="http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/South_America/Argentina/photo682993.htm">The Bench</a>

Hope you'll like it.

Daniel

hgupta 09-11-2007 03:46 PM

No doubt its Leh- Ladakh region. Its mystical...unexplored.....it borders with China :)
Regards,

Hemant

clupica 10-09-2007 09:05 PM

Re: Your favourite place in your country? (Switzerland)

It's easy! Just bring your camera and lots of memory chips. Switzerland is a photographers heven. Some times I get great shots without leaving my building. Then again, I live in downtown Neuchatel, on Lake Neuchatel, with a view of the local castle. Five minutes to the water frornt for those great lake shots, 5 minutes to the foothills, 10 minutes to the Jura Mountains, 1 hour to Luzern (a world heiritage site), 1 hour to the Alpes (if I drive fast) and 5 famous sky resorts in less than 4 hours. If I want sub-tropical, 4 hours will get me to the south-eastern corner where they speak Italian and palm trees grow in the gardens.

But for a quinsentual Swiss visit, I think there is no where like the cog train up to the top of Mount Pilote; near Luzern. It is every non-swiss's idea of what Switzerland looks like.

And if I get bored of Switzerland; France is 40 minutes away, Germany 1hr40 minutes, and Italy / Austria are about 5 hours.

NMore locally, if you want some real local color, visit Neuchatel the last weekend in September for the annual wine festival. It's 3 days of celebration with food, costumes, wine, and 3 parades. One of the parades features Guggenmusik, a Swiss invention; marching bands dressed in the most unusual costumes (giant plastic heads with a rainbow of colors in their outfits).

Come join us next year.

Regards
Charlie

CostaMexico 10-12-2007 06:01 AM

Laguna Beach is my kind of heaven

bcarlier 10-12-2007 03:34 PM

Gent.
Enough said ;)