The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   About WRONG LOCATIONS (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812863)

dkmurphys 05-15-2012 03:17 PM

Hi

Enisala is a village and fortress in Tulcea (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...ulcea/Enisala/), not in Constanta (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...tanta/Enisala/)
:)

Porteplume 05-15-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkmurphys (Post 1212465)

Thank you, it has been corrected! :)

dkmurphys 05-16-2012 07:28 AM

Thanx a lot!

dkmurphys 05-16-2012 08:07 AM

Wrong

Hi Viviane,
I'm back with another thing to be repaired. We have the city of Cluj-Napoca (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...j/Cluj-Napoca/) wich is correct written, and we have some others versions of wrong written name: Cluj - Napoca (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...Cluj_-_Napoca/), cluj apoca (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...uj/cluj_apoca/), cluj napoca (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...j/cluj_napoca/).

Thanx:)

holmertz 05-16-2012 05:20 PM

Here's another chaotic city:

The capital of Ukraine is represented at TE as:
kiev
Kiew
Kieyv
Kiiv
Kijev
Kijiv
Kijow
Kiyiv
Kyev
Kyiv
Kyjiv
Kyyiv
Kyyv
Kyyivska

The city was generally known as Kiev, which is the Russian spelling, during the time of the Soviet Union. Since independence Kyiv, which is Ukrainian, has been the most relevant spelling. So I suggest that Kyiv should be used throughout.

Gert

Porteplume 05-16-2012 05:54 PM

I have changed some of the following ones:

kiev (389)
Kiew (1)
Kieyv (1)
Kiiv (2)
Kijiv (6)
Kijow (1)
Kiyiv (1)
Kiyv (14)
Knyazhichi (1)
Kyev (4)
Kyiv (199)
Kyjiv (2)
Kyyiv (63)
Kyyivska (1)
Kyyv (2)

into:

Kiev (394) [M] << Kyyivska
Kyiv (233) [M] << Kyyivska
Kyyiv (63) [M] << Kyyivska

But I'm still hesitating which one would be the right spelling ???

I'm not sure I can change Kiev for Kyiv as it was once the right name...

holmertz 05-16-2012 06:34 PM

Thanks Viviane,
Kiev or Kyiv is a tricky question that probably cuts through the domestic politics too, i.e. whether you're pro-Moscow or pro-West.
This is at least a lot better.
Gert

saxo042 10-21-2012 05:32 PM

Wrong Locations in Sweden

You have asked for rapport of the names of places which are not correctly located. So far I have found more than 300 wrong locations in Sweden! I can give you a list in pdf-format, if you want to "repare the problems”.

However, the first problem is that you have chosen to subdivide Sweden into what you call ”regions” and ”states”. There are many users who don´t seem to understand what these are.

First of all, ”regions” are normally called ”lands” and there are three of them (there were four until 1809).

Then there are in fact two separate ways to subdivide these lands.
One way is to use ”landskap” (”landscape” but mostly translated to ”province” in English) and the other is to use ”län” (mostly translated to ”county” in English). ”States” are never used!

Landskap / provinces are a very old, but has no administrative function. They have been replaced by counties (län) for the administrative purpose (starting 1634). But people often identify themselves with landskap /province. Dialects are typical examples, where we use landskap /province to identify the speaker.

Many of the wrong locations are in the Gothenburg area. Gothenburg is definitely in the Västergötland province and has been so since it was founded in 1621. North of Gothenburg is Bohuslän, which belonged to Norway until 1658. Bohuslän is clearly a province, even if the name contains the part ”län”. South of Gothenburg is Halland, which belonged to Denmark until 1645. Both are today separate provinces in Sweden.

But when the adminstrative parts, the counties, were formed, Gothenburg was merged with Bohuslän in 1680 to form the administrative unit called Göteborgs och Bohus län (Gothenburg and Bohus county). But that didn´t make Gothenburg a part of Bohuslän! Note the difference between Bohus län and Bohuslän!

Then, in 1998, this county was once again merged with two other counties, Älvsborg´s county and Skaraborg´s county into Västra Götaland´s county.

Älvsborg´s county included the southern part of the province of Västergötland and the province of Dalsland. Skaraborg´s county corresponded to the northern part of the province of Västergötland. (Another peculiarity is that Västergötland belongs to Götaland and Dalsland belongs to Svealand…)
Of course, both Västergötland and Västra Götaland mean the same thing; West Gothland!

But here the TE problems start! Too many people belive that Gothenburg is in the province of Bohuslän, probably since it was once part of Bohus län! Same thing with Mölndal, close to Gothenburg. The majority of the wrong locations in Sweden are found for Mölndal!

Another area with plenty of wrong locations is Lappland. Lappland is a province, now divided in two different counties. These are Norrbotten and Västerbotten. But these counties are also the names of separate provinces. All locations in the province of Lappland are either in the county of Norrbotten or in the county of Västerbotten. But if TE only has provinces in the preprinted default list, it is easy to see why so many users misplace the locations.

I suggest that TE changes the words ”Region” into ”Land” and ”State” into ”Province”

Once reason to use TrekEarth is to find pictures from different places on the earth, for instance if you want to visit them. It is therefore quite essential to achieve the correct information!

Please contact me by email if you like to have the list. I will then attach it to a direct email to you.

Porteplume 10-21-2012 07:27 PM

Merci Gunnar, I'll send you a mail... :)

holmertz 10-21-2012 07:30 PM

strange city

Dear Viviane (or any other moderator),

After I uploaded a photo from Istanbul I noticed that this is another city that has been spelled in a huge variety of ways. It would be nice to see the city "normalized".

I have seen it written as:
Iistanbul
Instabul
Instanbul
Intanbul
Isatnbul
Isatnbul Airport
Isstanbul
Ist
Ista
Istabul
Istambul
Istanbaul
Istanboul
Istanbu
Istanbul.
Istanbule
IstanbulPark
Istanlbul
Istasnbul
Istnbul
Itanbul

There was also a picture from Denmark, marked kopenhagen, which had been sorted into Istanbul province.

The very correct Turkish spelling would be İstanbul, but we can forget about that.

Whenever you find the time...

Thanks,
Gert

Porteplume 10-21-2012 08:05 PM

Bonsoir Gert,

I think I got all those you have found... Please don't hesitate to send more if necessary.

:)

holmertz 10-21-2012 08:14 PM

Thank you, that was quick. I am sure I will find something. :rolleyes:
Gert

Porteplume 10-22-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxo042 (Post 1222986)
You have asked for rapport of the names of places which are not correctly located. So far I have found more than 300 wrong locations in Sweden! I can give you a list in pdf-format, if you want to "repare the problems”

. . . . .

Once reason to use TrekEarth is to find pictures from different places on the earth, for instance if you want to visit them. It is therefore quite essential to achieve the correct information!

Please contact me by email if you like to have the list. I will then attach it to a direct email to you.

Got the list of 319 faults and I think they all corrected now.
I must say that you did a great work to make it easier to me, which I very much appreciate.

Thank you a lot! :)

saxo042 10-22-2012 07:15 PM

Thanks Viviane

I have seen that all the wrong locations are now corrected, thanks a lot!
Gunnar

saxo042 10-23-2012 06:12 AM

One small error left

I noticed one small error left, in the "state" of Bohuslän, it should be "Tjorn" not "Tjorne". But otherwise everything seems OK.
Gunnar

Porteplume 10-23-2012 06:40 AM

Tjorn done to... :)

FireFluxStudios 07-30-2013 08:13 AM

Old, post but the following are all from the same place:

Colonia de Sacramento
Colonia del Sacramento
Colonia del Sacramento.
Colonia do Sacramento

The actual spelling is the "Colonia del Sacramento" one.

HTHs,

Rob.

Porteplume 07-30-2013 09:06 AM

Hi Rob,

Thank you for mentioning these mistakes.
It has been fixed now...

Amicalement - Viviane

ChrisJ 09-07-2013 01:21 PM

ChefChaouen, Morocco

Chefchaouen has its own province. It doesn't appear in the TE drop down menu. Could it be added please, and all existing Chefchaouen images moved to their correct province?

saxo042 09-17-2013 01:59 PM

Hi Viviane,

Regarding wrong locations, I have noticed that one member, muratd, has apparently been to Sweden and he has uploaded a number of pictures. I far as I can see, all of them are from Stockholm. I can´t see exactly where in Stockholm he has been, but it looks like the northern part, i.e. in the province of Uppland.

However, he has chosen provinces very randomly from all over Sweden. He has placed Stockholm in remote provinces like Härjedalen and Dalsland. In this way, he has managed to fill the map with bright colours... Naturally, he can correct all these errors himself, but I think it is quicker if you correct them all.

So, all pictures from Sweden by muratd should be located in Uppland, Stockholm.

Thanks
Gunnar

Porteplume 09-17-2013 05:32 PM

Bonjour Gunnar,

I have re-located Stockholm on all the Swedish photos from muradt.
It is really important to locate as precisely as possible, so thank you for noticing this...

A next "wrong" location from this user will be deleted because I call his behaviour "vandalisme', it costs much time to correct it and it will now be sanctioned.

Friendly greetings - Viviane

saxo042 09-22-2013 11:15 AM

Wrong locations

Hi Viviane,

5 new pictures from Sweden by muratd should be located in Uppland, Stockholm.

Thanks
Gunnar

Porteplume 09-22-2013 11:35 AM

Merci Gunnar, I have written him a warning, relocated 4 photos and deleted the last one... :(

Amicalement - Viviane

Noel_Byrne 11-07-2013 06:09 PM

Northern Irish picture in wrong location.

Hi Everybody,

With sincere apologies, I just posted a shot called Angry skies of the giants causeway, and set the country as Ireland. It should actually be United Kingdom with the state as Antrim. Any chance you could help me correct that?
Sorry again :(
Thanks
Noel

Porteplume 11-07-2013 06:29 PM

Bonsoir Noël,
It has been changed...
Is it OK now?

Kind regards,

Viviane

Noel_Byrne 11-07-2013 07:41 PM

Perfect Viviane, thank you!

holmertz 01-20-2014 04:59 PM

TE member muratd, who had earlier placed Stockholm in various provinces all over Sweden, now has posted four pictures from Seoul, placing the South Korean capital in North Korea. I guess it can't be entirely ruled out that there is actually a place called Seoul in North Korea as well, but I find it very unlikely that the same place could be located in, so far, four different North Korean provinces.
Gert

Porteplume 01-20-2014 06:28 PM

Hi Gert,

Thank you for letting me know... He also located 4 time Seoul in a different région of North Korea, I'll change that as quickly as possible.

Kind regards - Viviane

Didi 04-05-2014 07:35 AM

Another wrong location

Hi Viviane
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...oto1452121.htm

There is no location in TE about the Isle of Pitcaim Island and Adamstown who belongs to UK
Best regards

Porteplume 04-07-2014 02:27 PM

I will ask the administrators about creating a location for thuis place. Please be patient...

Regards - Viviane

ktanska 04-09-2014 08:29 AM

Turks and Caicos Islands

Hi Viviane,
Turks and Caicos Islands is also missing from British overseas territories.

- Kari

mkamionka 11-04-2014 02:55 PM

I see this problem a lot.
In Ireland the reason was often that some people did not agree with Northern Ireland being politically part of the United Kingdom - they often pasted Northern Irish photos under Republic of Ireland as a sign of protest I guess. Only person who knows the country well would be able to pick it up though.
Should I always report it when I see it?

Another messy country is UK. The division into counties is not very clear. For example I live in Teesside area which was part of county Cleveland. Now formally County Cleveland does not exist and they say that "for ceremonial purposes" Tesside has been divided between County Durham (north of the river Tees) and County North Yorkshire (south of the river Tees). But it is just "for ceremonial purposes" as authorities are quite delocalized here. Local Police is still called Cleveland Police, and the road signs for North Yorkshire start AFTER Teesside.

More problems in the UK are for example with Newcastle upon Tyne which is historically part of County Northumberland and it is where people place it. Together with its neighbouring area. However usually people miss the fact that Newcastle Metropolitan Area has formally its own county which is called County Tyne and Wear.
So if you look for photos from Newcastle -most of them are in the wrong location!

Similarly with some regions around Manchester or Liverpool which are historically part of Lancashire but not anymore, as now they are for example part of Greater Manchester area which is a separate county.
The confusion arises even when looking at addresses - I have seen once a name of a town "xxx in Lancashire" although it was actually in Greater Manchester.

Occasionally when I see it I tell it to the people. But when a country is wrong like a photo from Prague is under Krakow, I cannot help anymore...

mkamionka 11-05-2014 03:00 PM

Just a second ago I noticed that several people placed photos from York under West Yorkshire/York, HERE.
In fact York is located in North Yorkshire. So all the photos should be HERE, although I see people also created York City which is a wrong name.
M

Porteplume 11-05-2014 04:04 PM

Hi M... Just changed it... ;)

Viviane

mkamionka 11-07-2014 02:39 PM

Thank you Viviane.
I guess you have read just my most recent post or also the one above it?

For example I looked now into County Northumberland in the UK and I found there:
•Newcasle on Tyne
•Newcastle
•Newcastle (Alnmouth)
•Newcastle (Cheviot)
•Newcastle (Tynedale)
•Newcastle (Tynemouth)
•Newcastle and Gateshead
•Newcastle Gateshead
•Newcastle on Tyne
•Newcastle Tall Ships 2005
•Newcastle upon Tyne
•Newcastle(Northumberland)
•Newcastle(South Shields)
•Newcastle(whitley Bay)
•Newcastle-Gateshead
•Newcastle-upon-Tyne
•Newvastle

They all should be located in County TYNE AND WEAR under
Newcastle upon Tyne

Similarly I found there
•North Tyneside

which should be in county TYNE AND WEAR

I found there also
•North Yorkshire
•Northumberland

which are both names of the counties...

Do you want me to keep giving you examples like this?
In Ireland I could find much more...
M

Porteplume 11-07-2014 09:15 PM

Thank M, Newcastle upon Tyne done... Next ones tomorrow. :)

Viviane

Porteplume 11-08-2014 01:12 PM

Done the others too... :)

I am ready to edit/correct any wrong location that you find on TE

Viviane

mkamionka 11-10-2014 03:02 PM

The easiest way to notice wrong location is to look at counties which are not popular on TE :)
One can almost always find something wrong in there.
For example looking at County Carlow in Ireland, one can find a photo from Giants Causeway, there is no doubt about the location as the author gives it in the title to this photo:
click here to see it.
This photo is not only in wrong county but even in a wrong country.
It should be under United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, County Antrim.
In situations like this I wonder though if it would not be better to delete this photo completely as this is the only photo from this author and such a poor quality.

Another funny example from County Carlow are these two photos:
photo 1 and photo 2.
County Carlow is not located near the coast but inland so the location of both photos must be wrong. Again his author is not very popular on TE... and those were his two only photos uploaded...

What can we do in such cases?
M

Porteplume 11-11-2014 11:54 AM

Hello Mariusz,

I can't delete an "old" photo even if the photographer hasn't logged in for quite a long time. So I have properly corrected the one about Giants Causeway and changed the two other ones with a county with a coast and given "unknown" as a location.

Viviane

stego 11-14-2014 11:35 PM

One of the things that I like to do once in a while is organizing the locations, which very often are much messed up (duplicates, wrong subdivisions, etc.). I would do that much more more often if I had means to be more effective, namely:

1- Moving photos to another country. In these cases I use the "Report Problem" form, but I don't apparently those reports are always ignored, as I notice some situations already reported years ago.

2- Change the location of photos directly and not only the folders or galleries. Very oftenly I spot photos which right location I recognise but I can do nothing because the gallery has photos of various distinct locations.

Can I have the means to help on that?

Another thing I want to ask the sysadmins is to reorganize the subdivisions of Morocco, that now has little to do with the administrative divisions used in the country, so it is impossible to do a good organization there. In Morocco there are 16 "regions" which are subdivided in "provinces" and "prefectures" (these are at the same level, ie, basically some provinces are called prefectures). The folders used in Trekearth have name of provinces, but as there are many provinces and prefectures that are missing, it is impossible to know wher to put places like, for instance, Taroudant or Chichaoua (which are provinces, but they haven't a folder). The French Wikipedia is a good source (not the English one) to do that. Notice for instance. I'd suggest considering creating folders only for the regions and not the provinces, as in many cases the province will be difficult to identify.

Thank you.