terez93 (1100) 2014-09-06 17:32:33Hi:
I so loved this photo; the lighting is incredible. I recently spent some time in Pompeii and it never ceases to amaze me. These magical scenes just appear randomly, but they're always incredible. I just adjusted color and lighting here; it may have turned out a bit contrast-y but hopefully it contributes something new to an already awesome shot. Thanks for sharing and hope you like!
Also: this is the Thermopolium of Vetutius Placidus. These ubiquitous establishments are basically ancient fast food restaurants, sometimes very fast, as there doesn't appear to have been room for seating! Sometimes there were benches outside for patrons to use. This one is one of the more large and elaborate examples. As in the modern day, it seems they were found on almost every street corner, in Pompeii and almost certainly in Rome itself. This frescoed lararium served as a household shrine for the Lares, or household protector deities, but they're often found in shops as well.
- Chalkis interesting sites and views (54 photos)
- Aerial Pictures by Neyvan Peçanhuk ! (93 photos)
- other favorites (2008) (61 photos)
- Red Mountains of Afghanistan (6 photos)
- Agbar Tower (57 photos)
- Italian squares (42 photos)
- Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area (5 photos)
- Snow Peaks (90 photos)
- Sunsets Around The World (16 photos)