Estonia's fourth largest island, Vormsi, is located between Hiiumaa and the mainland with a total area of 92 square kilometers. It is part of a rural municipality with the same name in Lääne County.
Vormsi's history as an inhabited island dates back as far as the 13th century. During most of its history,t he island has been inhabited by Estonian Swedes ("rannarootslased" in Estonian or "coastal Swedes" in English), whose population reached 3,000 before World War II. During the war, nearly all of Vormsi's population, along with other Swedes living in Estonia, were evacuated to Sweden. The island's current population is approximately 350 inhabitants.
The Island of Vormsi with its juniper fields, seaside meadows, erratic boulders and lighthouses is best toured on a bicycle or on foot. The gravezard of Vormsi church (1632) is famous for numerous ancient circular crosses.