Sigsmund's Column - a secular monument dedicated in honour of King Sigismund III Waza who made Warsaw the capital of Poland. This column is as well the symbol of the city as the first Polish monument. It originated in 1644 at Władysław's IV suggestion in order to commemorate his father's deeds and strengthen his glorious picture of the King
In the background its the Royal Castle. The present shape of the building resembles the style in architecture of the 17th and 18th century. Over the west wing of the castle you can see Sigismund's Tower and the famous clock. The castle was completely destroyed after Warsaw Uprising (1944). Its reconstruction was officially finished in 1984.
for more details ...
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Atif Gulzar (gul791) (1262)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2007-04-27
- Categories: Castles, Architecture
- Camera: Canon PowerShot S2 IS
- Exposure: f/4, 1/800 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2007-05-09 6:13