Danish Kings' Renaissance castle
by George Rumpler
Frederiksborg Castle is located in the middle of Hillerød on three islands in the castle lake. The oldest parts of the castle were built in 1560 by King Frederik II and the castle is named after him. The majority of the present castle was built between 1600-1620 by Frederik II's son, Christian IV in Dutch Renaissance style with sweeping gables, sandstone decorations and copper-covered roofs and spires.