Gregory Wagner Contact
- United States
- Sports photography is my profession and you are welcome to visit www.wagnerphotography.com to take a look around at my work which is mainly baseball at the amateur level.
As I write this on July 24, 2012 I must say my opinion hasn't changed all that much since I last updated this profile almost 2 years ago. It’s been enjoyable, entertaining, educational, humbling, addictive, challenging, frustrating, rewarding and somewhat like a game....I like this game.
This is what I believe, in no particular order:
1. The first rule of photography: There are no rules.
2. Travel the back roads whenever possible. The best photos are found along the less travelled roads.
3. Seeing some the outstanding work on TE is forcing me to improve my work and to examine every photo I consider for submission very carefully…….which is a very good thing.
4. There should be a ban on photos submitted to TE that were taken through a passenger jet window at 35,000 feet. These photos show no skill or creativity whatsoever and I really wish people wouldn't post them.
5. Sometimes the subject in a photo CAN, though rarely, be perfectly centered and still make it pleasant to look at.
6. Now that we are in the digital age, apparently noise and grain are a major taboo and a major source of harsh criticism. I’m having a hard time agreeing with that. To me a completely smooth sky looks fake.
7. The time of day you choose to upload a new image plays a role in how many points it will get. Also, it seems that week days are better for points than weekends. I try to avoid posting images on Fridays and the photos I post on Saturdays are more along the line of "fun" photos or of the experimental variety.
8. When I put my popcorn in the microwave I set it on “high” for 2 minutes, 35 seconds and it comes out perfect every time.
9. Giving critiques and points in exchange for receiving critiques and points is not something I think is a good thing.
10. Without getting personal or too rude, I think direct, honest and harsh critiques of truly bad photographs can and will help other members improve their work. Simply ignoring these photos because you don’t want to say something negative to someone else does not help that person get better.
11. Pictures of boats washed up on the beach get lots of points every time.
12. The rule of thirds is off by approximately 33%. I enjoy photos with extreme, well-executed composition.
13. Taking sports photos is my business and I love what I do for a living. Any person who goes to work at the ball park is living a pretty good life.
14. I have a long list of places I need to visit and photograph some day as a direct result of TE members and I thank all of you for that. This year I was able to visit Munich, Vienna, Budapest and Prague so now I can check those off my bucket list.
15. If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
16. Never argue with an idiot.
17. I prefer Coke over Pepsi, Canon over Nikon, Chevy over Ford, and baseball over hockey.
18. TE members with lots and lots of points tend to receive lots and lots of points for any photo they submit for review, even if those photos are lousy. Sometimes I think the better photographers on TE with several thousand points sometimes submit mediocre photos to be ornery. Just a little game to play in order to make life a bit more interesting.
I originally submitted the above beliefs on May 19, 2007. They were first updated on August 21, 2008, further updated on August 21, 2010, and updated again on July 24, 2012. No animals were harmed or killed during the initial writing of my beliefs and subsequent updates.
- Member Since
- Canon 1D MKII N, Canon EOS 1, Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera, Minolta X-700
Map of Photographed Countries
|Photo Location Information|
|Austria||6||view photos||view map|
|Belgium||1||view photos||view map|
|Canada||6||view photos||view map|
|China||6||view photos||view map|
|Costa Rica||1||view photos||view map|
|Czech Republic||4||view photos||view map|
|France||1||view photos||view map|
|Germany||2||view photos||view map|
|Hungary||12||view photos||view map|
|Ireland||3||view photos||view map|
|Japan||8||view photos||view map|
|Netherlands||3||view photos||view map|
|Peru||11||view photos||view map|
|Portugal||3||view photos||view map|
|Russia||1||view photos||view map|
|Spain||2||view photos||view map|
|Switzerland||1||view photos||view map|
|United Kingdom||22||view photos||view map|
|United States||500||view photos||view map|
|All Countries||593||view photos|