Photos

Photographer's Note

.

Cầu ngói Thanh Toàn



Thanh Toàn Tile-roofed Bridge spans over the little Như Ư ditch flowing from one end to another end of the village Thanh Toàn of the Thủy Thanh commune, Hương Thủy district in Thừa Thiên-Huế province. From An Cựu market, if you continue on the left bank of the man-made river heading east for about 4 miles across green rice paddies, you would arrive the bridge.

The commune of Thủy Thanh has been established in the 16th century. Among the immigrants who followed Lord Nguyễn from Thanh Hóa to Thuận Hóa there were 12 heads of clan have resettled here and became the pioneers of the community. One of their relatives, a lady of 6th generation of the Trầns named Trần Thị Đạo has donated the fund to build this wooden bridge to help locals crossing the ditch. Since then, the two bridgeheads became the overnight stations for travelers. Mrs. Đạo is the spouse of a high rank mandarin of the Lê Hiển Tông dynasty and they had no child to inherit so she used her fund to help community. From this, she has been adored and worshiped. In 1776, Hiển Tông King has published royal decree to praise her. In 1925, King Khải Định also nominated her as Dực Bảo Trung Hưng Linh Phù Tôn Thần and ordered people to set up altar to worship her right on the bridge.

Thanh Toàn Tile-roofed is an arched wooden bridge with 17m-length and 4m-width. There are balconies with backs on both sides of the bridge to be used as benches to rest. The roof is covered by tubing enamel tiles, divided into 7 sections. This is a rare bridge with best reputation among Vietnamese wooden bridges since its shape is more elegant than the Japanese Bridige in Hoi An.




.

cliffchappell, TRASH has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2456
Points: 4
Discussions
Additional Photos by Ngy Thanh (ngythanh) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 472 W: 128 N: 2360] (8578)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH